The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Mrs Farley, 105 Latimer Road, N. but who is this soldier?

high wood

George Dennis Farley married a Millicent Sarah Stephen’s born 1867 in Higham Kent. Also known as Sarah Ann Stephen .

The post card is addressed to her as Mrs Farley so possible family connection on her side rather than George Dennis Farley.
George Dennis Farley only brother a William Henry Farley was also a Metropolitan Police Officer who had retired by 1911 so don’t suspect it’s him due to age born about 1863.

On the family side of Millicent Sarah Stephens she has three brothers possible in age range.

Thomas Stephens born about 1863 not much I could locate on Military service don’t thinks it’s him.

Robert Stephens born about 1875 of the Worcestershire Regiment 2/8 Bn. Pte 260216 KIA on 7 .9.1917. Didn’t join up till early 1917? So based on uniform I’d suspect it might not be him.

My favourite is Richard Stephens born 1870 in Higham Kent a Labourer. His extensive service record survives on Ancestry attested 30 March 1915 his address was C/O Mrs Farley at 105 Latimer Road. His sister.  
He joins ASC which may be uniform in the picture? Not an expert on uniforms!  

Private SS 7977 , then into a Training Company and eventually RE Regiment in 1918 - Road s and Quarries. S/ N 251289 His medal roll also has number W/R 40534. 

Hope  this helps narrow the search.

As mentioned in the above post attached below the Medal Roll , service numbers and Regiments served for Richard Stephens who is the brother of , Mrs Millicent Sarah Farley ( nee Stephens) 
image courtesy of Ancestry.co.uk

Could  the Training Battalion to whom he was attached be the shoulder insignia in the photograph? 

D0B51E95-7E99-4EA5-BD1C-F82D7AF98E1D.jpeg

15 minutes ago, Toontraveller said:

Could  the Training Battalion to whom he was attached be the shoulder insignia in the photograph? 

D0B51E95-7E99-4EA5-BD1C-F82D7AF98E1D.jpeg

Yes I think that’s quite feasible, and it’s the reason I asked HighWood if he could get a proper scan of the shoulder title.  I can’t quite make out if it’s a 2 or 3-letter title and did inwardly ponder if it might be RE, but without a better view it could just as easily be ASC.  

Edited by FROGSMILE

4 hours ago, Toontraveller said:

George Dennis Farley married a Millicent Sarah Stephen’s born 1867 in Higham Kent. Also known as Sarah Ann Stephen .

The post card is addressed to her as Mrs Farley so possible family connection on her side rather than George Dennis Farley.
George Dennis Farley only brother a William Henry Farley was also a Metropolitan Police Officer who had retired by 1911 so don’t suspect it’s him due to age born about 1863.

On the family side of Millicent Sarah Stephens she has three brothers possible in age range.

Thomas Stephens born about 1863 not much I could locate on Military service don’t thinks it’s him.

Robert Stephens born about 1875 of the Worcestershire Regiment 2/8 Bn. Pte 260216 KIA on 7 .9.1917. Didn’t join up till early 1917? So based on uniform I’d suspect it might not be him.

My favourite is Richard Stephens born 1870 in Higham Kent a Labourer. His extensive service record survives on Ancestry attested 30 March 1915 his address was C/O Mrs Farley at 105 Latimer Road. His sister.  
He joins ASC which may be uniform in the picture? Not an expert on uniforms!  

Private SS 7977 , then into a Training Company and eventually RE Regiment in 1918 - Road s and Quarries. S/ N 251289 His medal roll also has number W/R 40534. 

Hope  this helps narrow the search.

Absolutely brilliant research. I think that you have the right man. The family link with his sister being N.O.K. is the clincher for me. I am also convinced that the shoulder title is A.S.C. and that we are looking at the letter C from the angle that the photograph was taken. To add another layer, his buttons appear to be A.S.C. pattern and not G.S. buttons.

Luckily, his service papers are also on F.M.P. and they make interesting reading. Many thanks for taking the trouble to look him up for me.

33 minutes ago, high wood said:

Absolutely brilliant research. I think that you have the right man. The family link with his sister being N.O.K. is the clincher for me. I am also convinced that the shoulder title is A.S.C. and that we are looking at the letter C from the angle that the photograph was taken. To add another layer, his buttons appear to be A.S.C. pattern and not G.S. buttons.

Luckily, his service papers are also on F.M.P. and they make interesting reading. Many thanks for taking the trouble to look him up for me.

I think you’re right about the buttons, I can make out the ASC star too, especially on the near breast pocket.

29C0B834-738A-44CD-88BC-F7076F1B118D.jpeg

46 minutes ago, high wood said:

My pleasure glad to help. Didn’t see the ASC button at first  but once you look again it makes sense.

3 minutes ago, high wood said:

A close up of the buttons.

Stephens 001.JPG

Stephens 002.JPG

Next of kin details.

R Stephens 2 - Copy.jpg

Yes that right hand breast pocket gives the best view of the button and clinches the ID.  A good spot.