The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Mills grenade casting manufacturer…help needed.

Dave66

Managed to find three mills grenade money boxes, one No36 and two No5/23.

One of the 5/23 castings has markings on that I can’t pin down to a manufacturer, F to the front, and FJ to the rear…help greatly appreciated…pics below.

Dave.

CA7A3C2E-5C2A-4023-8402-F32D4FAFFCAF.jpeg

D8399B50-DFC4-4680-86BA-83C26E49CF79.jpeg

43 minutes ago, Dave66 said:

Managed to find three mills grenade money boxes, one No36 and two No5/23.

One of the 5/23 castings has markings on that I can’t pin down to a manufacturer, F to the front, and FJ to the rear…help greatly appreciated…pics below.

Dave.

CA7A3C2E-5C2A-4023-8402-F32D4FAFFCAF.jpeg

D8399B50-DFC4-4680-86BA-83C26E49CF79.jpeg

Hi Dave,

I’d suggest a call to @Gunner Bailey

Edited by GWF1967

Thanks GWF.

😀👍

Dave.

If it's a No.5 they are probably just cast marks. However a very few No 23's did have makers marks on the front face the most frequent seen is an embossed M.   They were probably made after the specification for the No 23 MK III came out specifying the makers marks should be on the front of the body, the base plug and the lever with a few manufacturers doing it on their No 23 Mk IIs as well (but not on the levers).  As far as I know there was no specification for makers to put their mark on 23 Mk IIs.

If this is the case here it may be a Falkirk No. 23. 

Most of these money boxes were made from surplus Mills bodies, many of which were uncompleted without filler screws of striker holes being drilled out. 

54 minutes ago, Gunner Bailey said:

If it's a No.5 they are probably just cast marks. However a very few No 23's did have makers marks on the front face the most frequent seen is an embossed M.   They were probably made after the specification for the No 23 MK III came out specifying the makers marks should be on the front of the body, the base plug and the lever with a few manufacturers doing it on their No 23 Mk IIs as well (but not on the levers).  As far as I know there was no specification for makers to put their mark on 23 Mk IIs.

If this is the case here it may be a Falkirk No. 23. 

Most of these money boxes were made from surplus Mills bodies, many of which were uncompleted without filler screws of striker holes being drilled out. 

Many thanks gunner,

I was quite lucky as all three castings are finished pieces so will eventually pick up some levers, filling and base plugs to complete them next time I go to a Militaria show….quite a nice little job lot.

Thanks again for your help, and very detailed reply.

Dave.