The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

When did the AIF switch from Militia uniforms

tankengine888

Hello!

I found a Dr Dixon, CBE, MiD on VWMA, wearing a Militia uniform with cuff ranks and Militia tabs, photographed below.
zoom_1-Portrait_1.jpg
He was in the first contingent out of Australia [October 1914] and in this photo [November 1914] he is still wearing this uniform
image.png.5e783d8706b73b5c47c25b99861f9dce.png
In 1919, he is now in the proper service uniform of an officer [Lieutenant Colonel]
zoom_18-CBE.jpg

When do you think he might've gotten his proper uniform? I imagine all officers by April 1915 would've had their proper uniform as opposed to the Militia Uniform, though as FROGSMILE once said, the Australians supplied their own uniforms as opposed to NZ using British 1902 Tunics.

Tank.

8 minutes ago, tankengine888 said:

Hello!

I found a Dr Dixon, CBE, MiD on VWMA, wearing a Militia uniform with cuff ranks and Militia tabs, photographed below.
zoom_1-Portrait_1.jpg
He was in the first contingent out of Australia [October 1914] and in this photo [November 1914] he is still wearing this uniform
image.png.5e783d8706b73b5c47c25b99861f9dce.png
In 1919, he is now in the proper service uniform of an officer [Lieutenant Colonel]
zoom_18-CBE.jpg

When do you think he might've gotten his proper uniform? I imagine all officers by April 1915 would've had their proper uniform as opposed to the Militia Uniform, though as FROGSMILE once said, the Australians supplied their own uniforms as opposed to NZ using British 1902 Tunics.

Tank.

It’s most likely that they adopted the later pattern of uniform before deploying to an active service theatre of war with the MEF (Gallipoli), or France and Flanders.  Access to tailors and ‘military outfitters’ in Britain would probably have provided the opportunity to kit themselves out with anything that they had not brought from Australia.  Certainly I’ve not seen images of Militia uniform still in use at either of those theatres of war. 

Edited by FROGSMILE

10 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

It’s most likely that they adopted the later pattern of uniform before deploying to an active service theatre of war with the MEF (Gallipoli), or France and Flanders.  Access to tailors and ‘military outfitters’ in Britain would probably have provided the opportunity to kit themselves out with anything that they had not brought from Australia.  Certainly I’ve not seen images of Militia uniform still in use at either of those theatres of war. 

Hello FROGSMILE!

Helpful as ever! I'd believe that he got a new proper uniform before Gallipoli, but he wasn't a combat officer, merely a medical. I did hear the British supplied the uniforms, but it's good to see that it's not 'horse hockey'

Anyways must be off,

Tank 

Tank,

What makes you think that Dr. Graham Patrick Dixon wore that Militia uniform when he embarked for Egypt with the first Australian Convoy from Albany on the 1st November 1914?

The photograph you have found of him on the Virtual War Memorial Australia web site is clearly that which Dr. Dixon wore during his Militia service as a Captain with the 2nd Medical Company, Maryborough, 1900 and 1911, and the photo would date from that period. After enlisting on the 21st August 1914, and entering Enoggera Camp, he would have worn the AIF tunic. He was  a Major with the 3rd Field Ambulance, AIF at Mena Camp, Egypt, 9th December 1915.

On enlistment, many Militia men wore the Militia uniform into camp, but it was replaced as soon as the AIF issue uniforms were distributed.

Jeff

12 minutes ago, Jeff Pickerd said:

Tank,

What makes you think that Dr. Graham Patrick Dixon wore that Militia uniform when he embarked for Egypt with the first Australian Convoy from Albany on the 1st November 1914?

The photograph you have found of him on the Virtual War Memorial Australia web site is clearly that which Dr. Dixon wore during his Militia service as a Captain with the 2nd Medical Company, Maryborough, 1900 and 1911, and the photo would date from that period. After enlisting on the 21st August 1914, and entering Enoggera Camp, he would have worn the AIF tunic. He was  a Major with the 3rd Field Ambulance, AIF at Mena Camp, Egypt, 9th December 1915.

On enlistment, many Militia men wore the Militia uniform into camp, but it was replaced as soon as the AIF issue uniforms were distributed.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

refer to the embarkation photo. He is still wearing Militia uniform.

you do have a point how Militia men wore their uniforms in camp, but ofcourse replaced.

tank.

Tank, 

I’m still not convinced as to the actual date of the embarkation photo, was it at Enoggera Camp prior to embarkation onboard the A22 HMAT “Rangatira on the 25th Sept, or at Albany, 1st November?

You may well be correct about him still wearing his Militia uniform on embarkation, but it seems odd to be still doing so. He should have been in the AIF tunic by then.

Jeff

35 minutes ago, Jeff Pickerd said:

Tank, 

I’m still not convinced as to the actual date of the embarkation photo, was it at Enoggera Camp prior to embarkation onboard the A22 HMAT “Rangatira on the 25th Sept, or at Albany, 1st November?

You may well be correct about him still wearing his Militia uniform on embarkation, but it seems odd to be still doing so. He should have been in the AIF tunic by then.

Jeff

Jeff, here is the full image

zoom_6-Officers_on_Rangatira.jpg.755dd677a5ecb1fc97a57697d69a6eea.jpg

This is definitely a ship.. even if half of it looks ********.

The odd part might be explained due to him being a medical bloke.

Tank 

Thank you Tank,

The photograph clears it up, you were correct. Since he sailed straight to Egypt, if he did eventually wear the AIF tunic, he must have either got it made in Cairo, or had it issued from AIF stores. Seems to be a most unusual occurrence.

Jeff

7 hours ago, Jeff Pickerd said:

Thank you Tank,

The photograph clears it up, you were correct. Since he sailed straight to Egypt, if he did eventually wear the AIF tunic, he must have either got it made in Cairo, or had it issued from AIF stores. Seems to be a most unusual occurrence.

Jeff

He would have had no trouble getting kitted out in Cairo, which had a thriving trade of all kinds geared towards British (and associates) tastes and wants.  Just as in India’s bazaars, the souks had cheap native tailors too and all kinds of garments could be had there, not least via simple copying. Apparently Australian officers tended at that early stage of the war to follow the tradition of having bespoke clothing made for themselves.

Edited by FROGSMILE

I'm more curious that he has cuff rank, which wasn't an authorised method of wearing rank in either the AMF (Citizen Forces) and AIF.

Dan

Edited by Fromelles