The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

merchant seamen taken prisoner in ww1

Guest ann k

My grandfather was on the SS SINAINN AS WW1 started and was in Germany at the time, he was taken prisoner from 1814-1818.

I have his certificate of Internment, from the board of trade, I have tried to find out more about this ship and all I have been told is that it was sunk, now would it have been sunk by the germans for any reason ? also who owned this ship ?

It was obviously a small ship,and I can find nothing about it anywhere, I assume she sailed from Liverpool, can anyone shed any light on this ?

My grandfather was on the SS SINAINN AS WW1 started and was in Germany at the time, he was taken prisoner from 1814-1818.

How old exactly was your grandfather?? He would certainly seem to have longevity on his side. :D

Roop

Lloyd's War Losses provides some more details: Sinainn was of a steamer of 971 grt, so not really that small. She was at Hamburg when war broke out. Sinainn was sunk on Sept 26, 1916, 313° 9 cables from Steinort Lighthouse, leasing north.

Best wishes,

Michael

Michael,

Do you have any info on how Sanainn was sunk?

Best wishes

David

Thanks Michael , do you know what shipping line owned the SS Sinainn ? or what cargo they would be carrying?

Sorry if I didnt make myself clear but my grandfather was 16 at time of interment on 4th aug 1914 and didnt get home till Nov 1918,so spent whole of the war in german pow camp.

Regards Ann k

Ann,

I do not have any information besides what is in Lloyd's War Losses. The best way to find out the name of the shipping company is either to find an expert in that area or, if you live near a major library, check a copy of Lloyd's Register from before the war. Cargo may be unknowable unless the company specialized in a specific product. Note also, that really the question of cargo involves both what the steamer carried to Hamburg and what she was going to take on there.

Best wishes,

Michael