Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Lieut. Col. John Davie Scott - award for bravery. What did he do?

depaor01

7 minutes ago, Terry_Reeves said:

It was a bronze oak leaf worn on the ribbon to signify the mention.

TR

Ah I see, so this went on the VM not the star. I thought the note referred to the 15 star.

Thanks Terry,

Dave

3 minutes ago, depaor01 said:

Ah I see, so this went on the VM not the star. I thought the note referred to the 15 star.

Thanks Terry,

Dave

That is correct.

TR

41 minutes ago, depaor01 said:

So not a physical item like the 14 rose?

Actually ... A physical Clasp for the 1914 medal riband and Rose for the ribbon on a medal bar.

The emblem was also phyical - an oak leaf emblem to be worn on the Victory Medal.

M

Edit: oops - duplicated the missed posts above whilst on the phone to my very annoying bank!!!  Glad that at least you are sorted [sadly not me!]

Edited by Matlock1418
edit

1 hour ago, depaor01 said:

Just revisiting this thread as I'm archiving Lt. Col. Scott's letters home. I've just noticed the annotation "one emblem" under the MIC entry for the 15 star. Is this an error? I know of no emblems used with the 1914/15 star.

Issued with an iv/issue voucher in June then in July you may also note three retd CRV - this is believe means they were returned and three Certified Receipt Vouchers completed - then followed by a later reissue and iv in August = lots of to-ing and fro-ing makes me wonder/rather seems likely they had somehow got his details wrong to begin with, perhaps his rank???.

Capt for the 1914-15 Star and Lt Col. for the BWM & VM

M

2 hours ago, depaor01 said:

Just revisiting this thread as I'm archiving Lt. Col. Scott's letters home. I've just noticed the annotation "one emblem" under the MIC entry for the 15 star. Is this an error? I know of no emblems used with the 1914/15 star.

As mentioned already emblem is a reference to the bronzed oakleaves showing he was MID. The WW1 oakleaves came in two different forms - a larger version worn on the ribbon of the actual medal, and a slightly smaller version worn on the ribbon bar (worn everyday on uniform when medals weren't worn). Had Scott lived he would have been issued one of the larger ones plus at least one (possibly two IIRC) of the smaller type, hence the card would reference "emblemS". Because he died there was effectively no need for ribbon bars to be made up so his NOK were only issued a single large version with the actual medals, hence the notation "one emblem":

image.png.585d90930b5601ba7c091bd150e111e9.png

image.png.f7bce75163340ea42028ee8bfac9dc04.png