The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

294 Siege Battery, Royal Garrison Artillery

Arncliffe

looking to find where my grandfather served in the Somme so I can visit the battlefield.

Percy Gayner 138295

47 minutes ago, Arncliffe said:

looking to find where my grandfather served in the Somme so I can visit the battlefield.

Percy Gayner 138295

Hi Arncliffe. It doesn't appear that the 294th SB were formed until the 1st November 1916 looking at this thread. There is a War Diary dated between 1st March - 30th June 1917 at the NA on this link https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/84c82e1a19cc4f668785afe332c67cdb

Percy was listed as serving with 294th Siege Battery on the 3rd October 1917 when he was transferred from No 11 Casualty Clearing Station but with 56th Siege Battery when admitted to No3 Casualty Clearing Station on the 10th January 1918.

WO95-5494 Allocation Units shows that the Battery deployed to the Western Front 30th March 1917.

As the war diary looks very limited, details of the Battery's locations and activities may be found in the HAG War Diaries. These are listed on the National Archives as Xxx Brigade Royal Garrison Artillery

image.png.a0b9952b3dad8f038fe51eecc9e7a11a.png

Given that the hospital admission 3/10/17 shows 2 years service and 6 months with field force, this suggests he probably arrived with 294 Sge Bty when it landed 3/17.

His subsequent evacuation may have been for long enough that upon recovery he was posted to a new Bty ie 56SB. War diary for the latter survives until c. Feb 1918.

9 hours ago, charlie962 said:

Given that the hospital admission 3/10/17 shows 2 years service and 6 months with field force, this suggests he probably arrived with 294 Sge Bty when it landed 3/17.

His subsequent evacuation may have been for long enough that upon recovery he was posted to a new Bty ie 56SB. War diary for the latter survives until c. Feb 1918.

Where can I find the hospital admission details 3/10/17 to which you refer - I believe that Percy was suffering from gas effects but I'd like that confirmed.

18 hours ago, Gunner 87 said:

Percy was listed as serving with 294th Siege Battery on the 3rd October 1917 when he was transferred from No 11 Casualty Clearing Station but with 56th Siege Battery when admitted to No3 Casualty Clearing Station on the 10th January 1918.

Thanks for that information (new to me).  Is there any way to find out where the No.11 and No.3 Casualty Clearing Station were located?

4 hours ago, Arncliffe said:

Where can I find the hospital admission details

Subscription sites only. FindmyPast or ForcesWarRecords. 

Additional info that probably helps is: 

1. Admitted 3/10/17 to 11 CCS from 63rd Field Ambulance with "Infl Stomach Dental" and sent on same day via Ambulance Train 6.

2. Admitted 'sick' 10/1/18 to 3 CCS from 1st/3rd Highland Field Ambulance suffering from Pleurisy.Discharged back to unit 29/1/18 for duty.

23 hours ago, Arncliffe said:

Thanks for that information (new to me).  Is there any way to find out where the No.11 and No.3 Casualty Clearing Station were located?

No11 CCS WD at the NA is ref WO 95/343/1 and No3 CCS is WO 95/412/8 for the relevant dates. Strangely I am unable to cut and paste the links. These WD's will tell you where the CCS were when Percy was admitted. 

Edited by Gunner 87

Had a look at the WD's and No11 CCS was located at Godewaersvelde on the 3rd October 1917. No3 CCS was at Grevillers on the 10th January 1918. This is also listed in a Lot article https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/regiments-and-corps/locations-of-british-casualty-clearing-stations/

Hope that is of some use. Gunner 87

12 hours ago, Gunner 87 said:

Had a look at the WD's and No11 CCS was located at Godewaersvelde on the 3rd October 1917. No3 CCS was at Grevillers on the 10th January 1918. This is also listed in a Lot article https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/regiments-and-corps/locations-of-british-casualty-clearing-stations/

Hope that is of some use. Gunner 87

Very many thanks.