The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Searching for Grandfather Royal Engineers

WexWil99

Hello, following on from a previous topic and as suggested now looking for James Clement Morgan Clarke,my maternal Grandfather born in Tiverton Devon 1887 Served with the Royal Engineers,was married to Margaretta Clarke (nee Emmerson) and was living in Wexford Ireland,that I'm afraid is all I know. any help would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks

G'day,
I took a look at the old thread, and i'll attempt not to use the same information

James was son of Alfred Morgan Clarke and Bessie [Nee Steer], born on September 30th, 1886[?] in Tiverton, Devon 
Note: Alfred Morgan Clarke was a Corporal in the Engineers in 1891, discharged 1905 serial number 18859.

Fortunately [and unfortunately], one of James' service record survived the blitz.. albeit 'half cooked'.. example below. [sourced from ancestry]
image.png.35cfe51969769bbaa89508c60b00cf72.png
It's dated 1919 at the bottom so I think it's for Russian service. He was discharged on February 11th, 1920 it appears at the rank of Sapper. It says in it that he was in Russia from May 30th until October 8th, 1919.

There's a Chelsea Pensioner record for James Clement Morsen Clarke, but I believe it's him, description says he was born in Everton, Devon in 1887, enlisted 1901 at 14 into the Engineers, service number 7978, discharged 1913.

Below are sourced from Ancestry 
[BWM/VM]
image.png.0f243a031e7414ec7f768c1d4b464023.png

[MIC]

image.png.54369c9862e261a2221abff903ae5659.png

No evidence of death.

That's what I could so far, without digging into rabbitholes.

Tank.

He served with the RE Signal Service as a field linesman. Part of that seems to have been with 66 Div Signals Company after stints at  the Signal Service Training Centre, Bedford, and Maresfield Park.

TR 

Edited by Terry_Reeves