The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Sgt. William W. Anderson 48252 (96th Field Co?) RE

Ivor Anderson

Thanks Charlie

I will search FMP using your method to identify those with 96 FC and update my list with those details of Harry Cordwell and James Heagney. I did note that the papers for Harold E harrison showed Burns on 04/09/1916 but no Unit. I missed the Hospital Admission for Alfred Teague.

Brian

7 hours ago, brianmorris547 said:

search FMP

Slight tweek- put regiment  Royal Engineers  but try various keywords:

"96th Field" (109 hits)

"96 F" (6 hits)

"96 Fd " (9 hits)

"96 Fld " (19 hits)

"96 Field" ( 6 hits)

I tried using an * after the F but it didn't work! 

The first picks up mainly SVC records and cwgc but the others pick up hospital admissions. 

Great that Findmypast bothered to have a go at transcribing .

Edited by charlie962

Thanks again Charlie

I picked up a lot of names from Default Sheets when I was researching the Bolton Artillery but have never tried it with 20 Div RE. I will try your methods for 83 FC and 96 FC and report back. 45633 Alfred Teague was admitted into the Red Cross Hospital Salisbury with Shrapnel Wounds in his left leg. He arrived via HS Asturias. The record shows 96 FC and discharged to duty 21/10/1916. I will have to put all the 121 names and numbers on the OCL through FMP again because the Wiltshire Hospital Admissions were not available when I checked them a few years ago. That's my number one task. 

Brian.

On 14/10/2022 at 14:22, charlie962 said:

Slight tweek- put regiment  Royal Engineers  but try various keywords:

"96th Field" (109 hits)

"96 F" (6 hits)

"96 Fd " (9 hits)

"96 Fld " (19 hits)

"96 Field" ( 6 hits)

I tried using an * after the F but it didn't work! 

The first picks up mainly SVC records and cwgc but the others pick up hospital admissions. 

Great that Findmypast bothered to have a go at transcribing .

Charlie

I went through the names on the OCL again to check for Wiltshire Hospital Admissions. I only found one more, 26735 John Bryson of 57 FC. He is named in their WD along with others who are also on the OCL. He also arrived on the H S Asturias. 

Using your system I have found two more names on the OCL that I can now put to 96 FC with some confidence. In the Service Record of 62108 Robert Blakelock two NCOs are named on the Default Sheet for May 1916 (Ancestry Filmstrip WO 363 Bla 98290). Cpl Thwaites and Cpl Ritson. These will most likely be 46593 Cpl John Thwaites and 45921 Sgt John Ritson who are named on the OCL with a 1914-15 date of 24/07. Cpl Ritson has a MM card in 1916 for 96 FC.

And I've only just started.

Thanks

Brian

EDIT: Having said that I have not found 20 Div RE wounded at Guillemont on any OCL other than the Times 11/10/1916, Charlie's system has identified a WO 363 for 48710 Albert Brown. His papers show that he was wounded on 04/09/1916 and papers either side of this date record 96 FC. He is named in the Times OCL 09/10/1916 (Second List) under Wounded - RE. I am going through the others on this list.

Edited by brianmorris547
additional info