Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Photo of H.M.M.S LONDON BELLE, paddle minesweeper ?

JohnH

My great uncle great Uncle Bruce Henderson (1897 – 1918) RNR service no. L 465 from Levenwick, Shetland served on H.M.M.S LONDON BELLE from 19 April 1916 until his death on 17 January 1918 through illness.

I have attached 2 photos he has sent home. The first is a photo of the LONDON BELLE during the Great War period. The second is a photo of him and 5 other sailors scrubbing the deck of a boat which I think is a paddle minesweeper probably the LONDON BELLE. I would welcome your comments on this. 

He is the sailor 2nd from the left. The original photo has a cross marked above his head, the attached is a B&W restored scan.  On the reserve of this post card his sister writes "Bruce on his ship", he writes "look how black I am". Thanks for your help. 480767759_HMMSLondonBelle.jpg.fd0e72814ac01a13ad75475c251fdd10.jpg1741228652_BruceHendersonandcrewonHMMSLondonBelle.jpg.b8a1f41b85b150b1000dbcc7487bfa8b.jpg

Looks like the men are just finishing off a scrub down of the decks after completing coaling - normal deck cleaning wouldn’t have gotten them that black! The photo is consistent with the assumption that the ship in question is the Paddle Sweeper LONDON BELLE.

MB

Edited by KizmeRD