The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

6th Gurkha Rifles - 2nd Battalion

ianshuter

I am looking for the details of where 2nd Bn - 6th Gurkha Rifles were on 21st June 1917 when Major Irvine William Bagot Harte was killed in action. He is commemorated on the Dehli Memorial (India Gate) along with 80,000 + other Indian Army men. I am assuming his body was never found. He was a career soldier who was first Commissioned to 2nd Lt on 28 Jan 1903. He was promoted to Major, 6th Gurkha Rifles on 1st Feb 1917
image.png.36c6105cab0e0bc7273638f99c197d32.png

I looked at the War Diaries of the 2nd/6th and 1st/6th and neither has details or even mentions of any casualties. This is the CWGC page https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/1437251/i-w-b-harte/

I have his personal and military details I just cannot find where he was killed or even which theatre, France, Mesopotamia or Sinai etc.

His medal card doesn't help (me at least) either he got 1915* issues by Indian Govt but does not detail which theatre he entered to get it.
image.png.6f23124bf066b057bf84c10088e34ce8.png

He is named on the Warwick Eleanor Cross War Memorial. Any help would be gratefully received

Edited by ianshuter
Added new details

Thank you very much, I had done a newspaper search so went back and found I have not removed a filter which prevented me seeing it. This information previously eluded others before me.

Originally Commissioned 2nd Lt 28 Jan 1903. Gazetted to Capt 1 Feb 1911 and to Maj on 1st Feb 1917. Previously in the Bedfordshire Regiment
Born in Fulham, Married in Warwick and lived in Leamington Spa. His father was a well known solicitor in London.

Many thanks again for your help, the info will go up here
https://www.warwickwarmemorial.org.uk/wwi-names/harte-irvine-william-bagot/ and on my website here https://www.swfhs.org.uk/index.php/war-memorial-transcriptions/new-master-index-of-the-fallen-of-ww1

My precis for his entry

On the day he was killed Maj Harte was the supervising officer of the Mahindradal Regiment at Nanu Pass, Waziristan when Indian and British forces were fighting the Mahsud, a Pashtun tribe, on the North-West Frontier Province and attacked, and captured, the Nanu Pass. During the fighting on the left flank Maj Harte was killed and 45 other ranks killed or wounded.

16 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

Gurkha museum will have a photo or two of him. A copy of one is in that ogilby muster link above.

Charlie 

Thank you I just purchased the Ogilby Muster picture £4 inclu vat