The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Call to Arms - Charles Messenger

Chris_Baker

I used the Armistice as the cut off date right from the beginning and so have not done much research on demobilisation. This, however, would be covered in another projected book, a proposal for which I have just submitted to my publisher. I can't really tell you much else about it at this juncture. Suffice to say that I have come across very little in print which gives anything more than a very superficial overview of the subject.

Charles M

Thanks Charles.

If your next project is anything like as impressive as the last one, I'll be delighted to add it to my groaning bookshelf.

Regards,

Ken

Finished it a about 10 days ago - excellent. I can only echo the high praise posted above. I've referred to it about a dozen times in the short time since I finished it!

Cheers,

Ste

Just finished reading this book. I must say Charles, well done.

Andy

It's just arrived but have to do some cleaning before i can start it! UGHHHHHH, Ah well the house won't sell itself unfortunately.

Mandy

It's just arrived but have to do some cleaning before i can start it! UGHHHHHH, Ah well the house won't sell itself unfortunately.

Mandy

Doesn't it? I'm sure mine does. I go out, come home later and it's clean.

I'll ask my wife if she knows how it happens. :lol:

Ken

• 3 weeks later...

Everything that has been written above leaves me with very little to add. An excellent book and a magnificent achievement Charles. Well done.

• 2 months later...

Just finished it! Congratulations,Charles, every time I put it down I was looking forward to getting back to it. It provided a lot of very useful information, especially on the less well-known types of unit that I've had difficulty in finding out anything about.

The section on honours and awards was thought-provoking as I've long had my doubts about how some were earned.

The book gave me some useful snippets of info for my own studies and several other books to chase up.

• 5 months later...

Bringing this back - I was in Waterstone's on Saturday (spending money), and they confirmed the paperback edition of this is due out in April, approx £12.

Charles,

Sounds as if the book has been a tremendous success. Congratulations on all your hard work. You must be really proud.

Copy has been ordered and is on its way.

Thanks again for this huge effort,

Neil

Bringing this back - I was in Waterstone's on Saturday (spending money), and they confirmed the paperback edition of this is due out in April, approx £12.

Good news, will see if it's available in US.

• 3 weeks later...

I know I am on the slow track here but had this for xmas and I can not recommend this enough, it has been a revelation to me. I would go as far to say that I learnt more from this one book than the last ten I have read about the Great War.

What makes it more fascinating is that it is the side of the war that gets little cover, IMO, yet is so crucial to everything that happened. An army marches on its stomach they say and this book is to me about that. Not the battles they fought but how they got their and what enabled them to become perhaps the most effective fighting army this country has ever sent overseas.

The author should be justly proud and commended for this work, it is truely a cracking book, full of facts, yet not stuffy with info that you can not take it in.

regards

Arm

• 3 years later...

This book deserves high praise in my humble opinion.

Not only a great read but an invaluable resourse which I know that I will come back to.

If anybody wants to know all about the expansion of the BEF and the logistics involved then this book is a must have!

regards Stuart.