The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Help to identify bayonet please.

GWF1967

Apologies for the poor pictures, and again if it’s not on period. 
 Could anyone help to Id this bayonet for a friend please. There are no obvious markings. Is it just a P1907 with a strange customisation?

31080EBD-23EF-4914-8C40-8B58DEFA3CE6.jpeg

C1829498-4138-4329-B78C-42317552610D.jpeg

5A4BA7FF-5E28-4475-BE97-F5F1A3C94D49.jpeg

Edited by GWF1967

Looks like a badly mis-treated P.1907... How long is it?

Julian

Just now, trajan said:

Julian

Thanks for your quick reply, I was just editing my post with the same thoughts. 
Hopefully I’ll have a measurement soon. 

6 minutes ago, trajan said:

Julian

55.3cm. Spot on Sir; Thank you.

My pleasure! Not certain what that screw is doing there in the mortice slot, but the presence of the cleaning hole in the pommel indicates this was around in 1916 or so when these things were introduced. It could be pre-1916 manufacture, of course, or 1916 or post 1916, no way of knowing... 

Julian

1 minute ago, trajan said:

My pleasure! Not certain what that screw is doing there in the mortice slot, but the presence of the cleaning hole in the pommel indicates this was around in 1916 or so when these things were introduced. It could be pre-1916 manufacture, of course, or 1916 or post 1916, no way of knowing... 

Julian

Thanks again for narrowing the time span.

The screw certainly doesn't appear to be a period field modification.

Looks like an 07, there may well be some markings under that rust and what looks like silver spray…interesting adaptation!

Dave

4 minutes ago, Dave66 said:

Looks like an 07, there may well be some markings under that rust and what looks like silver spray…interesting adaptation!

Dave

It looks like it may be chromed (but badly tarnished/damaged) this was sometimes done officially for special parade purposes, I have a couple that have been treated this way.

The screw is a new one to me -- and it certainly is not in any way official - one suggestion might be it was a way of attaching to the bayonet to a backing board or other display hanger (which might also go along with the chroming if unofficial) 

Chris

Edited by 4thGordons
typos galore

5 minutes ago, Dave66 said:

Dave

2 minutes ago, 4thGordons said:

It looks like it may be chromed (but badly tarnished damaged) this was sometimes done officially for special parade, I have a couple that have been treated this way.

The screw is a new one to me -- and it certainly is not in any way official - one suggestion might be it was a way of attaching to the bayonet to a backing board or other display (which might also go along with the chroming if unofficial) 

Chris

Thanks for looking chaps, I suggested a clean with light oil and wire wool. I’ll let you know if any marks appear. 

Looks like the cleaning hole was realised post 1918, the blade should be cleaned, as it looks like silver paint on it, this piece is restorable.

It is a Pat 1907 bayonet which had been officially chromed to become an Australian Parade bayonet. Most of the chrome has now worn off but it would have looked like this one of mine with matching chromed scabbard.

Cheers, 

TR.

07D4.jpg

56 minutes ago, t.ryan said:

It is a Pat 1907 bayonet which had been officially chromed to become an Australian Parade bayonet. Most of the chrome has now worn off but it would have looked like this one of mine with matching chromed scabbard.

Cheers, 

TR.

07D4.jpg

How can you tell it (the original example) is Australian, please? I think several countries chromed bayonets for parade use.

4thGordons,

You are probably correct about other countries using chromed parade/ceremony 07 bayonets, as it was most likely a Commonwealth thing, I have only seen mention of our Aussie ones, and even those do not get mentioned much.

As trajan states, no way of knowing much about this one until it is cleaned up a little. Mine is Aussie marked  OA (Orange) 5/43.

In JMBs post of the Smiling tiger bayonet, there is even one of those which has been chromed so I suppose we should always expect the unexpected with bayonets.

Cheers,

TR

On a similar note, would anyone help me to identify this bayonet, I think i know what it is but

I wouldn't recognise a fake if i'm honest.  I have had it for about 40 years

Overall length is 545mm and blade length is 425mm

P1000208.JPG

P1000207.JPG

P1000206.JPG

P1000205.JPG

sorry, wouldn't load all pictures at the same time

P1000204.JPG

P1000203.JPG

40 minutes ago, DH1961 said:

On a similar note, would anyone help me to identify this bayonet, I think i know what it is but

I wouldn't recognise a fake if i'm honest.  I have had it for about 40 years

Overall length is 545mm and blade length is 425mm

P1000208.JPG

P1000207.JPG

P1000206.JPG

P1000205.JPG

sorry, wouldn't load all pictures at the same time

P1000204.JPG

P1000203.JPG

Very nice, I wish I had one hanging about.
It looks to be a P1907 in rather better condition to the example I posted above. Australian made and marked. Dated 1914. https://www.awm.gov.au/articles/blog/australian-issued-rifles-and-bayonets-first-world-war  
Marked to the 16th Battalion Australian Infantry. Rack number 422 (to pair it with the correct Lee Enfield rifle).  
An unaltered early example by the looks of it. https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/U51456

Does it have any markings on the pommel or the throat of the scabbard?

A clearer photograph of the scabbard markings should help others to identify the manufacturer  

@trajan, @Dave66, or one of our Australian pals should be able to add to/correct my offering. @Mattr82

Searching for “Lithgow” using the forum search facility should bring up several examples for comparison. 

Edited by GWF1967

Thank you for your reply, the markings on the scabbard read Ca -  - 13 on one side of the ridge and I think IMI over C the opposite side.

I can't see any other markings at all on the pommel or scabbard

Kind regards

DH1961

15 minutes ago, GWF1967 said:

Very nice, I wish I had one hanging about.
It looks to be a P1907 in rather better condition to the example I posted above. Australian made and marked. Dated 1914. https://www.awm.gov.au/articles/blog/australian-issued-rifles-and-bayonets-first-world-war  
Marked to the 16th Battalion Australian Infantry. Rack number 422 (to pair it with the correct Lee Enfield rifle).  
An unaltered early example by the looks of it. https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/U51456

Does it have any markings on the pommel or the throat of the scabbard?

A clearer photograph of the scabbard markings should help others to identify the manufacturer  

@trajan, @Dave66, or one of our Australian pals should be able to add to/correct my offering. @Mattr82

Searching for “Lithgow” using the forum search facility should bring up several examples for comparison. 

Thanks again

3 minutes ago, DH1961 said:

Thank you for your reply, the markings on the scabbard read Ca -  - 13 on one side of the ridge and I think IMI over C the opposite side.

I can't see any other markings at all on the pommel or scabbard

Kind regards

DH1961

Glad to help - and welcome to the forum.
 A very desirable bayonet. Apart from the pommel missing its press stud, it looks to be in very good condition. I’m sure it will be coveted by many of the forum bayonet collectors. 

I have had it on the sideboard for years and do like the proportions and style, Im getting closer to retiring now and

thought I might need a hobby to pursue.  The bayonet seemed like a good starting point

That’s a fantastic bayonet mate! As stated before 16th Battalion, D Company. The 422 is the inventory number for that Battalion. I would be willing to say that these markings are specified for AIF use rather than to the military districts pre-WW1. The AWM also has a 16AI bayonet but marked to H Company. Fantastic bayonet. I have two 1914 Lithgow rifles myself but no 1914 Lithgow bayonet. Many thanks for sharing mate!

The 16th AI was raised at Broadmeadow in Victoria. It was a mainly Western Australian battalion but it and many others were raised in Broadmeadows as soldiers arrived for training. That’s why we see some 16 AI equipment either marked to Victoria or South Australia as well. Elements from those states handed equipment over to 16 AI to help flesh out equipment for mobilisation. 

2 hours ago, GWF1967 said:

Glad to help - and welcome to the forum.
 A very desirable bayonet. Apart from the pommel missing its press stud, it looks to be in very good condition. I’m sure it will be coveted by many of the forum bayonet collectors. 

2 hours ago, DH1961 said:

I have had it on the sideboard for years and do like the proportions and style, Im getting closer to retiring now and

thought I might need a hobby to pursue.  The bayonet seemed like a good starting point

A lovely specimen! Lucky bloke! But be careful of entering the bayonet collection world - it is fascinating, time consuming, and expensive - but great fun! And what a way to start a collection! 

Julian

It is fascinating, I am from England, so I have no idea how it ended up here as I have had it for ages.

It was bought from an antique dealer I believe but ha passed a long time ago