The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Help to identify bayonet please.

GWF1967

So after the Dardanelles, the Aussies handed in the rifles into the British ordnance system so they could get newer Mk.VII sighted rifles but the kept hold of their bayonets. At the end of WW1, Aussies handed in their equipment to the Brits. A lot of their bayonets were handed in as well and a lot came home. I’ve posted some of my 1915 Lithgow bayonets with British reissue dates of 1918 and 1923. They too were handed in at the end of 1918. But yours is amazing as it still has its original AIF markings.

21 minutes ago, Mattr82 said:

That’s a fantastic bayonet mate! As stated before 16th Battalion, D Company. The 422 is the inventory number for that Battalion. I would be willing to say that these markings are specified for AIF use rather than to the military districts pre-WW1. The AWM also has a 16AI bayonet but marked to H Company. Fantastic bayonet. I have two 1914 Lithgow rifles myself but no 1914 Lithgow bayonet. Many thanks for sharing mate!

Thanks for confirming my guesswork. 

5 minutes ago, DH1961 said:

It is fascinating, I am from England, so I have no idea how it ended up here as I have had it for ages.

It was bought from an antique dealer I believe but ha passed a long time ago

As trajan said; what a way to start a collection.
Best of luck with your new hobby. 

10 minutes ago, DH1961 said:

It is fascinating, I am from England, so I have no idea how it ended up here as I have had it for ages.

It was bought from an antique dealer I believe but ha passed a long time ago

Well, it is a 'starter' that a lot of people would certainly give a left hand for because of the missing catch - and perhaps the right also!

Julian

From October 1915, the Brits took over the issuing of equipment to the AIF so Australia took over equipment to the Dardanelles and subsequently Gallipoli from late 1914 until October 1915. So I would saying with about 99% certainty that your bayonet has been at Gallipoli.

Edited by Mattr82

****** 😂 would have been a good indicator of its exact fitting in terms of serial numbers. Both my 1914 Lithgows are ex AIF rifles too. One marked to Canada and the other to South Africa and im lucky as that still has its old Australian military district markings to 2 MD (NSW)

Photo below is the South African marked 1914 Lithgow. 

ED8215AF-D3DA-4A90-B48B-7B3524AD7C66.jpeg

Now I have a better idea of what I am looking at, I will be trawling shops/dealers around here for

similar things. If I ever travel there I will bring it over and see if it fits :thumbsup:

What a nice piece, thanks for sharing it with us….and welcome to the slippery slope of collecting pointy things👍😂.

Dave.

10 hours ago, DH1961 said:

On a similar note, would anyone help me to identify this bayonet...

P1000203.JPG

Very nice. If you wanted to replace the missing locking catch they are relatively easy to find (but sometimes difficult to fit and require fettling) as spares, eg:

https://militaria.co.uk/product/1907-bayonet-replacement-locking-catch-complete/

2745-7.jpg

image.jpeg.734434e52a5a2c78dd0658e5704a7283.jpeg

image.jpeg.cfd7e844ee88183d97e4316413de7a96.jpeg

Markings of a 1915 quillion removed for comparison

4 hours ago, Chasemuseum said:

image.jpeg.734434e52a5a2c78dd0658e5704a7283.jpeg

image.jpeg.cfd7e844ee88183d97e4316413de7a96.jpeg

Markings of a 1915 quillion removed for comparison

For practical purposes I can understand why it was done, maybe the one I have didn't see much active service so didn't get "repaired"

6 minutes ago, DH1961 said:

For practical purposes I can understand why it was done, maybe the one I have didn't see much active service so didn't get "repaired"

Yours is likely to have seen a year or two of service; the fact that it didn’t get “repaired”/ refurbished/ butchered makes it more valuable and highly collectible. 

Very nice and rare bayonet , my grandfather was in the 16th battalion , and trained at Blackboy camp in Perth Australia .

Because of this i hunted for years for a Lithgow hookie, own 2 of these now and this started me on bayonet collecting .

DH1961

Nice well marked bayonet and tidy early scabbard.  

On the early scabbard markings, from what I can see, it looks like; I^M over C (I broard arrow M) and not IMI over C, and the other marks, C?--13 or 15 just to hard to see. May help with a couple of photos of same in different light.

Cheers.