The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Canadian M1917 bayonet with unknown markings

ThomasLjungberg

Hi all

Just came across this M1917 Remington bayonet, that's been lying in a drawer since since my granddad passed away many years ago. 

I'm thinking about selling it, but don't know anything about bayonets, so I've been Googling about it for a couple of hours, and what I've found out is that it's a M1917 produced by Remington, it has been reissued to the Canadian army and the scabbard is an American made Jewell, which is missing the wire hanger - so far so good (but please correct me if I'm wrong ;-)).

What puzzles me is the number "104" on the wooden handle, and the marks "C" and "N.L.K." on the back of the scabbard - I can't find any information about these, and I actually haven't found any pictures of this type of bayonet with numbers printed on the handle.

Any information anyone can shed on this will be highly appreciated, and if anyone dares to guess on the value then that is also very welcome :-).

Best 
Thomas Ljungberg

IMG_20230115_144637_522.jpg

IMG_20230115_144649_135.jpg

IMG_20230115_144710_739.jpg

IMG_20230115_144740_024.jpg

IMG_20230115_144813_679.jpg

IMG_20230115_152825_427.jpg

IMG_20230115_152839_126.jpg

This is a nice example.

I believe (I will need to dredge the memory banks and search out notes) Canada bought a fairly large number (10,000 rings a bell but it may have been more) of M1917 rifles early in WWII (at the same time that the UK was buying and lease-lending them for home guard use.).

I suspect this bayonet was part of that purchase.

Removing the wire hanger from the scabbard would make it possible to slip into a standard British/Canadian frog and wear with standard equipment. There are some pics (and some other details on the scabbards HERE)

104 would I think be a "rack" number applied by the unit where it was held.  Given the style I think the number might have been added post Canadian service too - because (again if I am recalling correctly) I think Canada sold/supplied their M1917s to Denmark post WWII (and some former British lend lease rifles seem to have ended up there as well)

Not sure on the NEK mark, I'll have a look - I wonder if it might not have been a Jewell sub-contractor?

Chris

11 hours ago, 4thGordons said:

Not sure on the NEK mark, I'll have a look - I wonder if it might not have been a Jewell sub-contractor?

Chris, from what I understand these letters stamped on the Jewell scabbards are the particular Inspector's initials involved in the checks during its manufacture.

Cheers, SS 

4 hours ago, shippingsteel said:

Chris, from what I understand these letters stamped on the Jewell scabbards are the particular Inspector's initials involved in the checks during its manufacture.

Cheers, SS 

That makes perfect sense! I will check mine -- I wonder if it would be possible to compile a list!

Chris

Thanks for nice information shared here, as i have identical Canadian proofed M1917, the scabbard was cracked and is in much worser condition, bayonet was made by Remington as 1917 modell, on upper mouth piece is GF in oval, unfortunally the leather was sanded and any previous stamps are not readable. The upper mouth piece for US wire belt system was removed. Color of leather is more brown/black as green.

US2M17a.JPG.6cb409f891790c741a59fcfc4eb9baf3.JPG

USM17b_2.JPG.90b8d2f9d1c85d8dd80c68a579793119.JPG

USM17c_2.JPG.2acb34ad8e9207955394507a2e281df3.JPG

Edited by AndyBsk

Hi guys

Thanks for the comments so far - I'm feeling a new hobby creeping in (but don't really need one ;-)). 

As for the mark on the backside of the scabbard, I'll agree that it looks like "N.E.K." on the picture, but using a magnifying glass I'm pretty sure it's "N.L.K."

Best
Thomas