Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Where are his record's?

peharris95

Wright Joseph William. Gunner, RFA. Born 15 January 1895, Manchester.

"He was mobilised at the outbreak of war in August 1914 and in April 1915 was drafted to the Dardanelles where he was in action with his battery on the landing at the Gallipoli Peninsula. He took part in much heavy fighting at the third battle of Krithia and other subsequent engagement until the evacuation in December1915.In February he proceeded to France and fought on the Somme, and at Ypres, and at Cambrai, and was seriously wounded.  He eventually lost one arm by amputation and returning to England was discharged in March 1919, holding the 1914-15 Star and the General Service and Victory medals. 14 Patchett St, Hulme, Manchester. Z8824"

Hello to all, apart from this entry in the Great War Roll, I can find no mention of this chap in any Ancestry military information, Attestation, Pension , SWB, Medal list, nothing, lots of info on him in census records and I know he survived the war to live to a good age, I accept some of his personal info may well have been lost in the blitz but surely he should have entries in in medal roll's, any help much appreciated.

Thank you.

Do you have his service number per chance? 

and is the name : Joseph William Wight? You post is not clear. 

Edited by AndrewSid

Quite a few Joseph wrights to look through.  Have you been through the MiCs for candidates: 

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_col=200&_cr1=WO 372&_hb=tna&_dt=M&_fn=Joseph&_ln=Wright&_crp=Royal field artillery&_ps=60

the challenge is identifying which one is him.

Edited by AndrewSid

1 minute ago, peharris95 said:

Forename's Joseph William. Surname Wright. Sorry no service number.

Any idea on his dob / year and/or place of birth?

2 hours ago, peharris95 said:

14 Patchett St, Hulme, Manchester.

The 1921 Census shows the following living at 14 Patchett Street, Hulme

John R Wright - 28 years - born Hulme - Occupation, Shop Clerk and Lodgeman

Annie Wright - 30 years - born Kilkenny, Ireland

Theresa Bickley - 7 years 9 months  - born Hulme

Annie Wright - 11 months - born Hulme

John R Wright married Annie Bickley in Qtr 3 1918, Chorlton district, Volume 8c. Page 1357

Theresa Bickley would be Annie Wright's daughter before marriage to John Wright. (GRO entry shows mother's maiden name of Bickley)

I looked at John R(obert) and found his birth was registered in Qtr 2 1894, he was baptised on the 13 June 1894, parents John and Elizabeth (nee Holland)

I looked for other children of John and Elizabeth but couldn't find a Joseph William

This could be his baptism

Name: Joseph William Wright
Baptism Date: 3 Feb 1895
Baptism Place: St. Andrew, Manchester, Lancashire, England
Father: James Wright
Mother: Maria

Just now, corisande said:

This could be his baptism

Name: Joseph William Wright
Baptism Date: 3 Feb 1895
Baptism Place: St. Andrew, Manchester, Lancashire, England
Father: James Wright
Mother: Maria

Can confirm this is my findings as well. (Maria's maiden name was Meadowcroft)

Joseph William Wright married Eveline Mazzina at StThomas', Ardwick, on the 26 December 1919.

In 1921 Census they are shown as living at 63 Victoria Street, Tydesley. He was working as a Forewarding Clerk

In 1939 National Register, they are still living at 63 Victoria Street. He was working as a Warehouseman (Provisions)

There must be a family link between Joseph William Wright and John Robert Wright

Found the original baptism which shows dob 14 Jan 1895

wright2.jpg.d04def6ac9692cec346a201a0cf46f48.jpg

14th Jan 1895 is correct "my mistake" his baptized date and marriage details are correct, as is his ancestry tree picture, its really his military information I seek, many thanks for all research carried out on my behalf so far.

1 minute ago, peharris95 said:

its really his military information I seek,

I do not doubt that, but to find his military details we have to have all details of his life. in order to cross check records.

There is clearly no MIC for a Joseph William Wright born Jan 1896, therefore he served as something else, say plain Joseph or plain William. One needs as much background as possible when looking for that sort of needle in the proverbial haystack

There are a lot soldiers named Joseph Wright.  However, given his wounding and the details we have there is a good chance of finding him. 

I would suggest taking all the Joseph wrights from the national archives and checking them for service with the RFA.  Might be worth doing all artillery associated men. That gives you 60 options:

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_col=200&_cr1=WO+372&_ps=60&_hb=tna&_q=Joseph+Wright+artillery+

A case of working through them 1 by one.  WFA pension records is probably best as most have an address. Given he lost an arm according to the OP a pension is a logical conclusion.

im afraid I don’t have the time find him for now.

Edited by AndrewSid

29 minutes ago, AndrewSid said:

WFA pension records is probably best as most have an address. Given he lost an arm according to the OP a pension is a logical conclusion.

I have searched WFA pension cards using name Joseph / Joseph William / William / William Joseph and a mixture of his initials but nothing found which I find strange if he was discharged due to loss of his arm. I have even added his wife's name into the search criteria without success.

11 minutes ago, Allan1892 said:

I have searched WFA pension cards using name Joseph / Joseph William / William / William Joseph and a mixture of his initials but nothing found which I find strange if he was discharged due to loss of his arm.

Yes, been there , done that, no result either :(

Some of the initial information has to be wrong name/dob/regiment/..

4 minutes ago, corisande said:

Some of the initial information has to be wrong name/dob/regiment/..

I’ve had a decent look on WFA pensions as well. No joy.  Something odd in original data or he has fallen down a very narrow crack.  

6 hours ago, peharris95 said:

"He was mobilised at the outbreak of war in August 1914

indicates that he may have had pre war service

6 hours ago, peharris95 said:

this entry in the Great War Roll,

We get back to this. What exactly is this ""Great War Roll",  who wrote it, and how reliable is it?

11 minutes ago, corisande said:

We get back to this. What exactly is this ""Great War Roll",  who wrote it, and how reliable is it?

The National Roll of the Great War was a civilian publication which required a subscription for an entry to be made. The individual entries were made, normally       by relatives or friends, which were well meaning but not necessarily accurate.

TR

Edited by Terry_Reeves

Entries in The National Roll of the Great War were compiled by subscription. Information for the entries was generally submitted by family members or the soldiers themselves. Information provided was not verified and therefore, may or may not be accurate

GWF Link .

Thanks

Grappling with that entry and the OP and what has been found in this thread

4 hours ago, Allan1892 said:

The 1921 Census shows the following living at 14 Patchett Street, Hulme

John R Wright - 28 years - born Hulme - Occupation, Shop Clerk and Lodgeman

Annie Wright - 30 years - born Kilkenny, Ireland

Theresa Bickley - 7 years 9 months  - born Hulme

Annie Wright - 11 months - born Hulme

Could the answer be that the man in the National Roll was John R Wright who lived at that address and not Joseph W Wright

Can @peharris95 say how he arrived at the J Wright being Joseph William Wright and not John R Wright