The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

History and markings of my P14 Enfield

DLecappelain

Hello, 

I was recently gifted this P14 Enfield and was looking for some help in deciphering the markings. Also, if anyone would know the approximate age of it?

More specifically:

Serial# W32129

Stock Markings: PATT "14 with an (Arrow) above it and a IW with a circle around it

- Underneath the stock is a "O" with a 6 point star (Not an *)

- On the rear stock there is a gold plate with: "L.D.N" and numbers ".93. .3. .20.

- Along the hand guard there is a "27" 

There are no (*) on any of the other parts

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated !!

Here are some photos

image1.jpeg

image5.jpeg

image4.jpeg

image2.jpeg

image3.jpeg

Hi - very nice looking example

As you know it is a WINCHESTER made rifle. Winchester rifles were the most highly regarded by the UK - all sniper and marksman versions were made from Winchester produced rifles.

The six pointed star with the O above it indicates it went through WRS (Weedon Repair/Refurbishment Standard) at Skimin & Wood. Skimin and Wood were contracted to refurb just over 41,000 rifles in this process in 1939-41. It involved removing the volley sight and ensuring the rifle was fully functional after storage. (replacing any broken parts etc)

The absence of a * on the bolt or the chamber suggests it is still a MkI rifle (rather than the MkI*) the difference was the MkI* had enlarged/reshaped bolt lugs (and receiver recesses) MkI and MkI* bolts are not interchangeable.  This change was adopted relatively early in production so yours probably a relatively early rifle.

If I am reading the Ministry of Munitions tables of acceptance/inspection correctly I think your rifle was inspected by the British inspectors in the US in the week ending September 2nd 1916. (Production started in February)

The stock is a unit marking disc - but is slightly oddly marked (in format)  usually you would have a Unit, date (month Year) and a sequential (rack) number.

+++++++++++++++++++more expert help than mine is available on the forum for this ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The unit here would appear to be related to LDN(London) - but whether this is a Regiment or an Area.

The Broad Arrow (Skennerton) indicates LDN as used for Senior Division OTC London

It could be 20th (County of London) Battalion, London Regiment (Blackheath and Woolwich) a territorial Battalion :  so 20 LDN,  perhaps a 3rd line Training battalion supplying the 20th Londons which would fit with most use of P14s in WWI in training units.

3/20 LDN weapon number 93

but I would bow to others with better knowledge on that, there seems to be rather a lot of full stops on the disc.

Any chance of an overview of the whole rifle, it looks to be an excellent example.

Chris

Edited by 4thGordons

Hey Chris 

thanks so much for your expertise on this, greatly appreciated! I love war history and am trying to find out as much as I can about this rifle. 
here are some more photos 

Dan

701C3567-522A-4939-9AC8-C4EC013DFB70.jpeg

F137A3AC-12D8-484A-8D7A-011BA65244D5.jpeg