The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Mills Grenade information needed please!!?

Chills0

Hi there,

I wonder if anyone could help me?

I have an incomplete Mills Grenade with some markings, and I really wanted to know what the stamps mean and possibly when this could have been produced?

I usually collect WW1 letters and this was in a box with them, but it also had WW2 and older stuff so was very interested to learn more about it.

Many thanksgre5.JPG.d4b908768796f761a7ff8a2fad0b2394.JPG

gre1.JPG

gre2.JPG

gre3.JPG

gre6.JPG

You have a WWII No.36M grenade made by Davis and Brocklesbury, Manchester, (VADIS on the base plug and body casting). The base plug was made by Strebor Diecasting, Radcliffe, Manchester (SDR) and assuming original to the grenade was supplied to Davis and Brocklesbury located nearby. The Z markings indicate the base plug and centre piece are zinc alloy (Mazak). The HJ Thormann centre piece was made in 1941 but finally inspected for use in 1944 - if original to the grenade, which it probably is, indicates one of the later continuous batch contracts from Davis and Brocklesbury.

What would have been the explosive used in this grenade, and what charge?

Regards,

JMB

Chills, nice looking example!

Edited by JMB1943
typo

6 minutes ago, JMB1943 said:

What would have been the explosive used in this grenade, and what charge?

The green band indicates - for land service use - 20/80 baratol (i.e. 20% barium nitrate, 80% TNT). Nominally a 2 1/2 oz loading.

All you need now is the matching VADIS marked lever and a filler screw. Nice original grenade.

On 28/01/2023 at 18:37, 14276265 said:

The green band indicates - for land service use - 20/80 baratol (i.e. 20% barium nitrate, 80% TNT). Nominally a 2 1/2 oz loading.

Actually  the formular was 67 % Barium Nitrate  33 % TNT with small amount wax 

You are thinking of Amatol  - Ammonium Nitrate  And TNT 

The original filling was ammonal,  ammonium nitrate,  aluminum powder, charcoal sometimes with addition of TNT 

Ammonium nitrate is hygroscopic, absorbs moisture from air,  also undergo shifts in crystal structure with temperature changes  

The M is for Mesopotamia to indicate filling suitable for hot humid climates 

• DavidOwen locked this topic