The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Pte Michael Christopher Leech, born Dublin, London Irish Regiment, Service N°s 4355 & 592016

George Millar

Michael Christopher’s Pension record has survived and gives the following:

Enlisted at Longford, Ireland on the 20th November 1915 into the 8th Battalion London Regiment, age 27 years old, occupation “Tailor”, address given as c/o Mrs Cully, Richmond Street, Longford. He was born in St Michael’s Parish, Dublin, Ireland. He was posted initially to the 3/8th battalion and then transferred to the 2/8th Battalion on the 14th January 1916. Michael embarked for France from Southampton on the 23rd June 1916 and was later wounded in action on the 2nd September 1916 with a GSW to the right foot. He was transferred to England on the 7th September 1916 and finally discharged on the 18th April 1917 under Para 392 (xvi) K.R. His address on discharge was given as c/o Mrs Cully, Richmond Street, Longford. His next of kin was listed as his brother Thomas Leech, again c/o Mrs Culley, Richmond Street, Longford.

From my research I believe that the above Michael Leech is one who was born on the 7th July 1885 in Synnott Place in Dublin to parents Christopher Leech & Mary Ennis. He was one of five children born to Christopher & Mary and had a brother Thomas Vincent Leech born also in Synnot Place on the 1st October 1887.

I have found a marriage record for Michael to Mary O’Reilly (Nee McCormick) on the 22nd June 1919 in St Mary’s Pro Cathedral in Dublin and his occupation was listed as a “Tailor”. His father was listed as “Christopher Leech”. I also believe that his death was on the 5th August 1952 in the Mater Hospital in Dublin, occupation also being listed as a “Tailor”.

I cannot find Michael in the 1901 or 1911 Census of Ireland and I also cannot find a relationship to Rose Cully (Nee McKenna) who is mentioned above. She was married to Daniel Cully on the 26th August 1888 in Longford, Daniel sadly dying on the 9th March 1900 at the age of 43 years.

As Michael’s age in his pension records is listed as 27 years, this would have given his year of birth as 1888 and not 1885 as I have stated above. Have I got the correct Michael Leech?? Any comments would be appreciated before I do any further research on “my” Leech family.

George

Michael Christopher Leech - UK, British Army WW1 Medal Rolls Index Cards, 1914-1920.jpg

Michael Leech - 1885 Ireland Birth Record.jpg

Michael Leech & Mary O'Reilly - 1919 Ireland Marriage Record.jpg

Michael Leech - 1952 Ireland Death Record.jpg

Hi George, As you have noted a detailed pension record survives with a declared age of 27 on 20 Nov 1915: https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?indiv=1&dbid=1114&h=440574&tid=&pid=&queryId=c62d5dddd446a831c5a4f4fc44f1183c&usePUB=true&_phsrc=qzF6524&_phstart=successSource

image.png.580afd5039475d3cdad7f2008f7e9673.png

His silver war badge was issued under his new issue no., but no age is given at discharge (due to wounds) in 1917 (Ancestry):

image.png.e1d8c0bdffe9afde8b0fe96c15e312fe.png

Edited by Ivor Anderson

He seems to have been born, married and died in Dublin, so the Mrs Cully, Longford address may be due to working there?

Father Christopher, mother Mary, brother Thomas.

There is a family tree for him on Ancestry showing a grave: https://www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/person/tree/23555704/person/382173690168/facts

Birth 7 JULY 1885 5 Synott Place Dublin Ireland     Death 30 DECEMBER 1961 Dublin, County Dublin, Ireland    This needs checked out.

Grangegorman Military Cemetery https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/188296866/michael-leech

Larger memorial image loading...

Poolbeg Street, Trinity, Dublin, Ireland in 1901 - On military census in India with 1st Connaught Rangers in 1911 aged 26:

https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?dbid=2352&h=37356673&indiv=try&o_vc=Record:OtherRecord&rhSource=70667

image.png.d76a006d2bf93a60a5dcc83a96b1d50e.png

Edited by Ivor Anderson
Additional Info

This seems to be his brother Thomas on the 1911 census. A Dublin born tailor living in Longford as a boarder - which aligns with your theory. 

It may very well be the relationship with Mrs Cully was that she was simply their landlady. Michael’s record states Thomas is his next of kin - c/o Mrs Cully rather than she is NOK. 

Also, note Michael Leech’s address at death - Kilester - was a purpose built housing estate for Great War soldiers.

I do have to correct the parish as St Michan’s not St Michael’s 😁  (a common mistake). 

The only thing that seems a little odd is - if he was a pre-war regular with the Connaught Ranger - surely he was liable to be called up to the CRs. So why was he not with the Connaught Rangers instead of London Irish? Plus of course the headstone has the Connaught Ranger logo rather than London Irish which seems a little odd too. If he was so attached to the CRs why join a different regiment? 

Jervis. 

5 minutes ago, Jervis said:

The only thing that seems a little odd is - if he was a pre-war regular with the Connaught Ranger - surely he was liable to be called up to the CRs. So why was he not with the Connaught Rangers instead of London Irish? Plus of course the headstone has the Connaught Ranger logo rather than London Irish which seems a little odd too. If he was so attached to the CRs why join a different regiment? 

Good question - CR service no. 7127 Papers, gave false age as 18 in 1901?

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/collections/1219/images/30971_171872-00352?treeid=&personid=&hintid=&usePUB=true&usePUBJs=true&pId=1160259

image.png.d2137f9418ab3c33ba4a007ef14687f7.png

2 hours ago, Ivor Anderson said:

Hi Ivor,

I am not entirely sure this is the same man. In addition to the age discrepancy; The man only served circa 6 months before discharge in 1902 - could he be same man with the CRs in 1911? Finally the address of mother does not seem to fit - Palmerstown Dublin was a rural location rather than usual city centre addresses. 

8 hours ago, Jervis said:

could he be same man with the CRs in 1911?

I think You're right Jervis. I forgot about the 1911 military census. Though at enlistment in 1915 he stated 'no' to previous military service.

The family tree on Ancestry may not be totally correct either?

Another Ancestry tree is very inconsistent: https://www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/person/tree/152083953/person/252016864415/facts

Leading to this 1911 census for the parents: http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Dublin/Arran_Quay/Western_Square__Great/42347/

Living in Athlone in 1901: http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Westmeath/Athlone_Town/Friary_Lane/1772998/

BUT only married 22 years in 1911 - Christopher Leech & Mary Waters m. Dublin 5 May 1889. So much for online family trees!

However, the first 5 births may be correct and the later ones wrongly connected? Or, did Christopher remarry in 1889?

Leech FT.png

Edited by Ivor Anderson
Additional Info

Hello all,

Firstly sorry for the delay in replying. I have seen the family tree's on Ancestry and in my opinion there are lots of errors in them. I dismissed the Michael and Margaret Leech headstone photo as that Michael married Margaret Costello on the 28th April 1921 in Dublin and his occupation was listed as a "Labourer" in the marriage record which would seem strange as having worked as a "Tailor" before.  Also Michael's father was listed as Timothy Leech.  Regarding the 1901 census in Poolbeg Street, Michael is listed as the Brother-in-Law to Thomas Dennis. In The marriage record of Thomas Dennis and Christina Leech, Christina's father was listed as Thomas Leech so again this didn't tie up with the Michael & Margaret stated above.  I also dismissed "my" Michael as being the Connaught Rangers soldier for similar reasons to Jervis. Just one thing I forgot to mention, Michael's brother Thomas Leech died on the 26th July 1955 in St Kevin's Hospital, Dublin, his address was listed as 126 Abbeyvale, Kellester, that of his brother Michael. (see attached). After I initially posted, I found a record for a Michael Leich, occupation "Tailor" living at 8 Mill Street in the Merchants Quay area of Dublin living with Robert & Mary Coppinger and family. He is listed as a "Cousin" but his age is listed as 20 years old which again doesn't fit in with my initial findings. The only connection to the Coppinger family listed above is that Mary Coppinger (Nee Hayes) was the sister to Bridget Hayes who Michael's brother Joseph married later on the 2nd August 1920 in Dublin but perhaps I'm not correct there either.

George

Thomas Leech - 1955 Ireland Death Record.jpg

Hi George,

I could not find a Michael Leech b.1888 so his enlistment age of 27 in 1915 must have been wrong. Do the five siblings I posted match what you know?

If so, their older brother Joseph (b.1884) is said to have died in 1927:

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/person/tree/23555704/person/382173690164/facts?_phsrc=qzF6541&_phstart=successSource

Also, none of the trees have a death date for their mother Mary? So many spellings of Leech!

Ivor

Edited by Ivor Anderson

Just one other thing, the Christopher Leech who married Mary Waters on the 5th may 1889 had his father listed as Joseph Leech in the marriage record but in the marriage of Christopher to Mary Ennis, his father was listed as Michael Leech. I believe that Michael's parents died prior to the 1901 census and hence the reason most of the family were split up. I have a record for the death of Christopher on the 1st April 1899 in the North Dublin Workhouse, his residence being listed as 4 Mederick Street in Dublin. However, I am unable at this time to confirm if this is the correct Christopher. Michael's brother Joseph I believe was the one who was an "Apprentice Carpenter" living with the Keenan family in 9 Garryhinch, Hammerlane in King's County in the 1901 census and then at 7 Knockmay in Queen's County with the Bryne family in the 1911 census.

George

Ivor,

Yes the siblings mentioned do correspond with "my" Michael and yes James was born on the 15th October 1888 but died on the 17th December 1888 at the age of 2 months, both address being listed as 32 Stafford Street in Dublin.

George

Thanks George,

It is good that you have the 5 children, though some birth entries don't give the first name. My error - it was Joseph who is supposed to have died mid 1927 in Dublin.

Ivor

Ivor,

The siblings are as follows:

Joseph born 22nd January 1884 in 5 Synnott Place, Dublin - parents Christopher Leech & Mary Ennis

Michael born 7th July 1885 in 5 Synnott Place, Dublin - parents Christopher Leech & Mary Ennis

Anna Maria Josephine Leech born 21st October 1886 in 13 Synnott Place - parents Christopher Leech & Mary Ennis

Thomas Vincent Leech born 1st October 1887 in 13 Synnott Place - parents Christopher Leech & Mary Ennis

James Leech born 15th October 1888 in 32 Stafford Street, Dublin - parents Christopher Leech & Mary Ennis

Note that for some of these births the christian name is not listed but these have been obtained from the Catholic Parish Records

George 

Ivor,

Yes you are correct, it was Joseph who died on the 31st March 1927. Once again many thanks to all who took the time to comment.

George

Could this be their mother Mary - died 1892 of TB?  Dublin street directories may be some help, if Christopher died 1899 aged 43.

image.png.9216e06705b17a2e7ef789fa1a6c97dc.png

Edited by Ivor Anderson

Ivor,

If the Christopher I've listed is correct then this would seem to be his wife Mary Ennis as the address is the same 1 Frederick Street North. Many thanks for that. As I surmised I did think Michael's parents had died prior to the 1901 census. Michael's sister Anna Maria died on the 21sr February 1892 at the age of 5 years and his brother Thomas at the age of 13 years was in the Artaine Industrial School in Dublin in the 1901 census. I believe that the Artaine school was set up in 1871 to take in orphaned or abandoned boys so again this would tie up with his parents have died earlier.

George

George,

Think this is Joseph (31 in 1915) - enlisted in RE as a wheelwright in June 1915 (103842) at 'Maryborough'/Portlaoise - 'two brothers last heard of in Longford':

image.png.2c6073a3cee42bb2275cc051c14ae25a.png

https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?indiv=1&dbid=1219&h=1160244&tid=&pid=&queryId=85524d6c3fc39df3ef9397fca841473b&usePUB=true&_phsrc=qzF6545&_phstart=successSource

Edited by Ivor Anderson
Additional Info

Ivor,

Many thanks for that. I do believe it is Michael's brother Joseph but needs further investigation. More digging required.

George 

Ivor,

I think I've just confirmed that the Joseph Leech who served with the Royal Engineers is the brother of Michael. In Joseph's service record he lists his address for pay as 7 Weaver Square, Dublin.  After leaving the Army, on the 2nd August 1920, Joseph married Bridget Graham (Nee Hayes) in St Nicholas of Myra (Without) Roman Catholic Church in Dublin. His address in the marriage record is 7 Weaver Square and his father is listed as Christopher Leech (deceased). His occupation was listed as a "Carpenter" so everything seems to indicate he is the correct person.

George

Joseph Leech & Bridget Graham (Nee Hayes) - 1920 Ireland Marriage Record.jpg

Great. Good to see confirmation and there is a Catherine Coppinger. Good to see that his brother Thomas was bestman. Contact must have been renewed.

Thanks Ivor,

It looks like I have been researching the correct family after all. Many thanks for your comments and all the others that commented.

George