The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Comprehensive guide to the Kaiserliche Marine uniforms from 1914 onwards

tricksor

These books are extremely useful: https://www.militaria.at/Book.aspx?book=8482500&language=en

1336 pages of information about the uniforms of the German Imperial Navy!

Such general questions are in my opinion a little bit absurd, a bit of personal research and investing in good books are highly recommended.

31 minutes ago, KizmeRD said:

Might suggest you try Google first, before making such general informational requests. 
The Forum is good for specific queries.

https://de.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dienstgrade_der_Kaiserlichen_Marine

MB

I also would like the uniforms specifically, wikipedia does not provide enough information or visual references. 
Specifically: Unteroffiziere mit portepee such as the ranks of Vizefeldwebel and Feldwebel, as it's known that from 1914 onwards they were authorised to wear the Deckoffizier's coat, which I also would like to get a good reference on. 

Furthermore, some help on differentiating between these two jackets below, and which jacket was worn when? From the shoulder of the man on the left, I assume he is a Deckoffizier, if so, were all Deckoffizier coats short length and single breasted? 

image.png.5967de61ea257a99e68c1cb3acb62068.png

Thanks

28 minutes ago, AOK4 said:

These books are extremely useful: https://www.militaria.at/Book.aspx?book=8482500&language=en

1336 pages of information about the uniforms of the German Imperial Navy!

Such general questions are in my opinion a little bit absurd, a bit of personal research and investing in good books are highly recommended.

I think it would be a little bit absurd to spend $99 for something I really only need once

16 minutes ago, tricksor said:

I also would like the uniforms specifically, wikipedia does not provide enough information or visual references. 
Specifically: Unteroffiziere mit portepee such as the ranks of Vizefeldwebel and Feldwebel, as it's known that from 1914 onwards they were authorised to wear the Deckoffizier's coat, which I also would like to get a good reference on. 

Furthermore, some help on differentiating between these two jackets below, and which jacket was worn when? From the shoulder of the man on the left, I assume he is a Deckoffizier, if so, were all Deckoffizier coats short length and single breasted? 

image.png.5967de61ea257a99e68c1cb3acb62068.png

Thanks

I think it would be a little bit absurd to spend $99 for something I really only need once

Upon looking at it again, I have realised it is in fact another double breasted coat, the angle just threw me off. But the rest of the question still stands, as the deckoffizier on the left has pockets and is much shorter than the oberdeckoffizier on the right. 

10 minutes ago, KizmeRD said:

Maybe this helps…

MB

7262DE57-3C2D-456E-92C1-E192807F77DC.jpeg

B8E5351C-FE55-4BDB-AC62-6A50F04A0121.jpeg

About the Obermaschinist on the first picture on the left, how come his jacket is shorter and has pockets unlike the other jackets worn by the deckoffiziere?

Perhaps the question concerning the different lengths of uniform coats can be re-phrased as ‘What’s the difference between Service Dress ‘Dienstanzug’ (three-quarter length frock coat) and the standard naval rig Double-breasted ‘Jakett’? The answer is that one is for formal occasions (note also the white gloves and sword) - and I’d guess that the chap wearing Dienstanzug on the postcard is likely to be an Officer of the Watch in harbour (probably serving on a battleship or perhaps a cruiser) whereas the shorter length reefer jacket is everyday naval dress.
Three-quarter length frock coats were generally big ship attire and were not worn in wartime, and they were done away with entirely post-war. Also seen in the postcard is an example of white tropical rig and blue winter rig (worn with a coat).

MB

42 minutes ago, KizmeRD said:

Perhaps the question concerning the different lengths of uniform coats can be re-phrased as ‘What’s the difference between Service Dress ‘Dienstanzug’ (three-quarter length frock coat) and the standard naval rig Double-breasted ‘Jakett’? The answer is that one is for formal occasions (note also the white gloves and sword) - and I’d guess that the chap wearing Dienstanzug on the postcard is likely to be an Officer of the Watch in harbour (probably serving on a battleship or perhaps a cruiser) whereas the shorter length reefer jacket is everyday naval dress.
Three-quarter length frock coats were generally big ship attire and were not worn in wartime, and they were done away with entirely post-war. Also seen in the postcard is an example of white tropical rig and blue winter rig (worn with a coat).

MB

Thank you