The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

19030 Private William Ainsworth

wpf1958

I am researching 19030 Private William Ainsworth who died on 1 July 1916 who is commemorated on Thiepval Memorial. He was a member of 1st Battalion East Lancs. I believe him to be born and enlised in Nelson, Lancashire. He appears to have a sister, Sarah. I am trying to trace his parents.

If anyone can help it would be much appreciated.

Wilhelm

32 minutes ago, wpf1958 said:

He appears to have a sister, Sarah. I am trying to trace his parents.

He has two dependant's pension index cards at WFA/Fold3.

The earlier card [with a printer's mark of 9/16] has Mrs Sarah AINSWORTH, sister, 20 Cumberland St, Nelson then later 30 Exchange St, Blackpool - got a Article 21 pension, 16/- pw from 28.8.17 for life [potentially appropriate for a sister or mother]

The later card  [with a printer's mark of 4/26] has Sarah AINSWORTH described as his mother = reverse of card is stamped 31 Dec 1926 / 1 Jan 1927 and has address of 7 Rutland St, Nelson

Sister and mother = ???

Awards file was destroyed 6.12.66 [quite typical after the death of the dependant claimant].

M

Edited by Matlock1418

His entry in the Soldiers' Effects register shows payments to 'Mo. & sole leg, Sarah' -- I take 'Mo' as mother (image courtesy of Ancestry)

Ainsworth_soldiers effects.jpg

1 minute ago, Allan1892 said:

His entry in the Soldiers' Effects register shows payments to 'Mo. & sole leg, Sarah' -- I take 'Mo' as mother (image courtesy of Ancestry)

That's how I would interpret "Mo" = Mother

As sole legatee it seems a Will may well be available

M

1 minute ago, Allan1892 said:

I too have just got the same result = ???

M

Dear all

Thanks so much for all your efforts that are much appreciated. Sorry for the delay in responding but I am travelling at the moment not having access to the internet!

Kind regards

Paul