The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

John Lynch Uniform identification help required

Anthony466

As part of my research into the seven Flynn brothers, Connaught Rangers and survivors of WW1, this photo has popped up via a relative in Ballina, Mayo. It shows a John Lynch (the mother of the seven brothers was a Lynch). I am trying to determine where he fits in, via the usual channels (FOLD3, etc.) but if anyone can help id the uniform, it would help. There is a John Lynch RFA 101123 and  a Connaught Ranger 3-409 enlisted 1888.

Can anyone id the uniform please?

thks

anthony

John Lynch.jpg

Edited by Anthony466

• Admin

No photo attached. 

1 hour ago, Anthony466 said:

As part of my research into the seven Flynn brothers, Connaught Rangers and survivors of WW1, this photo has popped up via a relative in Ballina, Mayo. It shows a John Lynch (the mother of the seven brothers was a Lynch). I am trying to determine where he fits in, via the usual channels (FOLD3, etc.) but if anyone can help id the uniform, it would help. There is a John Lynch RFA 101123 and  a Connaught Ranger 3-409 enlisted 1888.

Can anyone id the uniform please?

thks

anthony

John Lynch.jpg

I can see that he has a one piece title for a Fusilier regiment (line infantry).  The one piece titles were a trend started by the Northumberland Fusiliers, but they did not generally become popular until after 1916, and even then were not favoured by all (e.g. RWF).  I suspect it is one of the Irish fusilier regiments, perhaps Royal Munster Fusiliers**, but it could be any of them really (less the Inniskillings).

**whose recruitment focus was Cork, Clare, Limerick and Kilkenny.

IMG_8119.jpeg

IMG_8120.jpeg

IMG_8122.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

27 minutes ago, Anthony466 said:

Thanks for the input, much appreciated as always.

Bear in mind that he might only have served with the fusiliers at home and then joined an entirely different regiment when posted to France.  Only the units served with overseas appear on medals documentation, so if his overall service record is lost, so too, very often, are the details of earlier units.  Nevertheless, the photographic evidence is clear.

Edited by FROGSMILE

This could be related to our man as the address seems correct, knowing some history. Can anyone shed light on the rank, please? Bdr?

anthony

5 minutes ago, Anthony466 said:

This could be related to our man as the address seems correct, knowing some history. Can anyone shed light on the rank, please? Bdr?

anthony

The man in the photo is a private, the most basic starting rank.  Bombardier is a rank associated only with the then three branches of the Royal Artillery, and was distinguished by a single point down stripe on both upper arms.

Edited by FROGSMILE

2 minutes ago, Anthony466 said:

Thanks very much. There is so much room for confusion and many with the same names.

thanks

anthony

Yes I understand.  The man in your photo is in the infantry and, at the time that the image was taken, in a fusilier regiment.

Edited by FROGSMILE

jjjjjjjjust a point, the white lanyard could mean he was a Gunner RA, RFA or RGA.

Tony P

On 07/06/2023 at 14:34, Anthony466 said:

this photo has popped up via a relative in Ballina, Mayo. It shows a John Lynch

On 07/06/2023 at 14:34, Anthony466 said:

There is a John Lynch RFA 101123

WFA/Fold3 pension index card show a Bombdr. John Lynch, 101123, RFA - his address was given as Hill St, Ballina, Co. Mayo [He was claiming a Military Service (Civil Liabilities) Grant £55/-/- for the purchase of a horse cart and harness for posting purpose] - the card is stamped 8 Jun 1932

And RHA - Cpl RFA on another disability pension card and pension ledger page - Born 1892, Discharged 4-3-19 for Bronchitis following influenza - this disability claim seems DEAD, 28.9.27 i.e. on or at least by that date] - plenty of notes on the front and reverse of the PLP through to 1926 - Ardnaree, Ballina, Co Mayo

Another 'widow's' card with his details, though rank shown as Cpl, shows a Miss Annie LYNCH, The Brooks, Ardnaree, Ballina [though her description was Guardian]

M

Edit: a related Widow's claim was made by Annie LYNCH, widowThe Brooks, Ardnaree, Ballina, c. 1926 !!??

Edited by Matlock1418
edit/add

21 minutes ago, tony paley said:

jjjjjjjjust a point, the white lanyard could mean he was a Gunner RA, RFA or RGA.

Tony P

I’m afraid not.  The artillery (all branches) did not formalise white lanyards until the 1920s.  During WW1 several other corps at local levels favoured whitening their universally issued lanyards including the ASC ammunition columns and some line cavalry regiments, in addition to those occasionally seen worn by gunners.

If you read the whole thread you will see that the man in the photo (whoever he might be) wears a fusilier shoulder title, which is as plain as a pike staff.

Edited by FROGSMILE

• 2 months later...
On 15/06/2023 at 22:00, Matlock1418 said:

WFA/Fold3 pension index card show a Bombdr. John Lynch, 101123, RFA - his address was given as Hill St, Ballina, Co. Mayo [He was claiming a Military Service (Civil Liabilities) Grant £55/-/- for the purchase of a horse cart and harness for posting purpose] - the card is stamped 8 Jun 1932

And RHA - Cpl RFA on another disability pension card and pension ledger page - Born 1892, Discharged 4-3-19 for Bronchitis following influenza - this disability claim seems DEAD, 28.9.27 i.e. on or at least by that date] - plenty of notes on the front and reverse of the PLP through to 1926 - Ardnaree, Ballina, Co Mayo

Another 'widow's' card with his details, though rank shown as Cpl, shows a Miss Annie LYNCH, The Brooks, Ardnaree, Ballina [though her description was Guardian]

M

Edit: a related Widow's claim was made by Annie LYNCH, widowThe Brooks, Ardnaree, Ballina, c. 1926 !!??

All these places certainly are known residences of the Flynn / Lynch family. Anne Lynch was the mother of the seven soldier brothers, wife to William Flynn, Connaught Ranger.

12 minutes ago, Anthony466 said:

All these places certainly are known residences of the Flynn / Lynch family. Anne Lynch was the mother of the seven soldier brothers, wife to William Flynn, Connaught Ranger.

What were the regiment’s of the seven brothers?  The photo shows a fusilier, so if you identify the regiments of them all you can narrow it down.

The man in the photo is not in any of the Royal Artillery branches.

Edited by FROGSMILE

2 minutes ago, Anthony466 said:

THey were all Connaught Rangers initially, presumably enlisted in Ballina. Some transfered to other regiments over time.

regards

anthony

That’s entirely feasible.  Assuming the photo definitely shows one of the brothers then he transferred from the Connaught Rangers, or was compulsorily posted, to a fusilier regiment.  This would probably have happened at an Infantry Base Depot (IBD) in France.

Edited by FROGSMILE

• 9 months later...

My great uncle John (Jack) Lynch was one of the Connaught rangers who was jailed after the 1920 mutiny and is named on a memorial in Dublin.

Unfortunately I have no one to ask now as all that side of my family are dead

14 minutes ago, brke said:

My great uncle John (Jack) Lynch was one of the Connaught rangers who was jailed after the 1920 mutiny and is named on a memorial in Dublin.

Unfortunately I have no one to ask now as all that side of my family are dead

To ask what exactly?  It’s important to keep in mind that not every soldier of the Connaught Rangers was a mutineer.  The family mentioned in this thread seems to be an example of that aspect.

• Admin

Are we talking about the same Lynch as the OP was asking?