The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Glass morphine ampoules how do you use them (museum Central Armed Forces Museum of Russian Federation)

arantxa

How does one use these ie inject it 

F0E538A7-06AB-4458-A883-FEEBEA7565D9.jpeg

0A3997D5-AE4D-4B4A-B043-ECFE9F950F95.jpeg

You’d normally snap the neck off and then use a syringe with a needle.

so you still use a syringe i didnt know if you stuck the piece of glass into your arm 

I’m so glad you are not my doctor.

Simon

18 minutes ago, arantxa said:

so you still use a syringe i didnt know if you stuck the piece of glass into your arm 

I fear that would cause even more damage. The pack would probably come with a short metal saw used to score the glass neck to make it easier to snap.

38 minutes ago, arantxa said:

How does one use these ie inject it 

F0E538A7-06AB-4458-A883-FEEBEA7565D9.jpeg

0A3997D5-AE4D-4B4A-B043-ECFE9F950F95.jpeg

Morphine is a controlled substance so I believe it is still illegal to possess these despite their age. 

• Admin

Covered under the Medicines Act and Misuse of Drugs Act Medicines Act 1968 (legislation.gov.uk) and  Misuse of Drugs Act 1971 (legislation.gov.uk)

It is legal to take possession of such items for the purposes of destroying them, however they would have to be destroyed.

There may be a defence in that due to age the contents may have denatured.

good job this is a pic from a museum then 

• Admin
1 minute ago, arantxa said:

In which case you must attribute the source or it will be removed. Please edit your first post accordingly.

• Michelle Young changed the title to Glass morphine ampoules how do you use them (museum Central Armed Forces Museum of Russian Federation)
5 hours ago, DavidOwen said:

may have denatured

Certainly would have denatured, it should be a clear solution and morphine amps these days have about a 2 year shelf life.

I would not inject or even ingest those ones!

There would not be any morphine in them.

regards

Robert

It just seemed a very fiddly way to have to use them ..so could a wounded soldier use a morphine amp themselves or would only the medical officers have the needles for injecting …if that’s the case why did individual soldiers carry them 

Looks like a couple of mls. Would they have been effective by mouth?

5 minutes ago, Dust Jacket Collector said:

Looks like a couple of mls. Would they have been effective by mouth?

To answer my own question, yes it can be taken orally just somewhat less effective. Maybe we need a doctor here!

Always useful to have a Doctor and lawyer in the family 

56 minutes ago, tootrock said:

what would the volume of a typical injection be?

18 minutes ago, Dust Jacket Collector said:

Looks like a couple of mls.

Yes,1 to 2 mls.

Yes it would have denatured, but not sure into what...

Yes,morphine can be taken by mouth, but absorption from GI tract would be variable,especially in a wounded soldier in haemorrhagic shock.

All other things being equal, 15mg of morphine taken orally for a first dose, only has the efficacy of 7.5-12mg given IM.

Thereafter, enzymes induced in the liver mean that higher and higher doses are required to achieve the same effect.

I wonder, did the German troops actually carry these? Might be a little unsafe unless they were trained in their use. Lying in a shell hole with some ghastly shrapnel wound you’d probably swallow the whole lot which might not be a good idea.

• Admin

I’ve read that soldiers received grains of morphia when wounded, administered orally or sublingual. Then crosses were marked on their forehead to show how many grains. I think officers carried these grains with them. 

That’s interesting ….maybe a medical officer carried these ? I was told that often bits in boxes cardboard were carried in trenches etc as disposable where as things in tins were used in hospitals …but I was only told that 

17 hours ago, arantxa said:

Well said!

9 hours ago, Michelle Young said:

I’ve read that soldiers received grains of morphia when wounded, administered orally or sublingual. Then crosses were marked on their forehead to show how many grains. I think officers carried these grains with them. 

Grains as in rice, or as in Troy weight?

• Admin

Presumably weight.

As the Ampules of Morphium hydrochloricum 0.02g are of German origin any reference to british weights and measures is irrelevant.

From Wiki https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apothecaries'_system

„Another reform in 1856 increased the civil pound from 467.711 g to 500.000 g (the German civil pound defined by the Zollverein), as a first step towards metrication. As a consequence the official apothecaries' pound was now 375.000 g, i.e. it was increased by 7%, and it was now very close to the troy standards. §4 of the law that introduced this reform said: "Further, a pharmaceutical weight deviating from the civil weight does not take place." But this paragraph was suspended until further notice.[71]

The abolishment of the apothecaries' system meant that doctors' prescriptions had to take place in terms of the current civil weight: grammes and kilograms. This was considered unfeasible by many, and the state received numerous protests and asked for expertises.[72] Nevertheless, by 1868 §4 of the earlier reform was finally put into force.[73]

According to the German medical report (Sanitätsbericht über das Deutsche Heer) the ampules were held by the medical services in various quantities, there is no reference to them being held by the individual soldiers for self use.

Charlie