The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Lt Geoffrey Bernard Fitz-Roy Samuelson Coldstream Guards

Randy Wells

I have Lt Samuelson's personalized 1897 officers sword. I know he was killed in 1917 at Cambria. I am searching for any info or photos of this officer. Thanks,

Randy

He was awarded the Military Cross - no details I'm afraid.  London Gazette 14 December 1917, 30413 page 13184

Andrew

Edited by aconnolly
typo corrected

Appointed probationary 2nd Lt August 1914 see LG 29091, 5 March 1915, page 2252

Promoted to Lt see LG 29568, 5 May 1916, page 4454

Andrew

The citation for his Military Cross was published in the London Gazette issue 30645 of 19 April 1918 page 4879

This image from National Archives gives the date and place of the deed.

Samuelson, Lt. G. B. F., C. Gds., M.C..JPG

Edit to add: Date of birth 26 January 1897. Educated at Horton School, Bedfordshire, Eton College, and R.M.A. Sandhurst.

Edited by HarryBrook

Hi @Randy Wells and a belated welcome to the forum :)

His webpage on the Commonwealth War Graves Commission website shows he was 20 years old when he died on the 27th November 1917 serving with the 1st Battalion. He has no known grave and is remembered on the Cambrai Memorial at Louveral. The additional family information is that he was the son of Sir Herbert Samuelson, K.B.E., of 58, Grosvenor St., London. Educated at Eton and Sandhurst. Enlisted in East Surrey Regt. Sept., 1914, but obtained Commission in Coldstream Guards. Previously wounded in 1916. https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/1756485/geoffrey-bernard-fitzroy-samuelson/

His Medal Index Card doesn’t reference his East Surrey Regiment service number, so he didn’t serve in a Theatre of War with them. As an officer his medals had to be applied for by his next of kin, but unfortunately his is one of a minority of MiC’s when the application details are not recorded on the reverse. It shows him landing in France for the first time on the 1st January 1916 but that may just be an approximation – any date from then onwards ruled him out of the medals awarded for earlier service in a Theatre of War.

If all of his service was with the 1st Battalion you may be able to pick up his arrival with his unit, his wounding and the action in which he won his Military Cross from the Battalion War Diary. These can currently be downloaded for free from the UK National Archive. You do need to sign in with your account, but if you don’t have one even that can be set up as part of placing your first order. Just click on “sign in” on any page of the online catalogue and follow the instructions – no financial details are asked for.

The section of the 1st Battalion War Diary covering from August 1915 to January 1919 can be found in that catalogue here https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7351842

The Guards Division were involved in an attack on Fontaine Notre Dame on the 27th November 1917.

There is a very interesting thread on the forum relating to the 1st Battalion on this day

You may also be interested in thes narratives on the Tank involvement on that day, which also has an associated map. https://sites.google.com/site/landships/home/narratives/1917/cambrai-narratives/18-comepany-27-november-1917?authuser=0 and https://sites.google.com/site/landships/home/narratives/1917/cambrai-narratives/i-battalion-27-november-1917?authuser=0

Both those pages have a number of contemporary pictures which gives an idea of the area being fought over.

There is no obvious missing person enquiry received by the International Committee of the Red Cross, but it looks like his fate was known about at the time.

The Fallen Officers obituary that appeared on page 12 of the edition of The Times dated Monday December 3, 1917 makes it clear that his education at Sandhurst was after his enlistment in the East Surrey Regiment and initial commission in the Reserve of Officers, having been deemed too young to serve overseas.

TheTimes03121917page12FallenOfficerssourcedTheTimesDigitalArchive.png.9dedac1bcf15d3c36560251d4ab5a26e.png

Image courtesy The Times Digitial Archive.

Note there is a slight discrepany in dates. The piece in The Times has him enlisted in the East Surreys in September 1914 and commissioned a week later. The London Gazette shows him with a probationary commission from the 15th August 1914, (page 2252) https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/29091/page/2252 in the Coldstream Guards Special Reserve, (list with its header starts on page 2251). https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/29091/page/2251

The 12th, 17th & 19th December 1917 editions of The Times added that a memorial service was to be held at St Martin’s-in-the-field on the 19th.

No obvious appearance for him in the UK Probate Calendar.

Hope that helps,
Peter

Concerning photos I imagine that there will be a surviving photo of his class at Sandhurst sitting somewhere and, as he spent some time with the Guards before going to RMC Sandhurst, there may be unit photos too.  Inquiry with the respective archives will be necessary.  There’s no mention of any siblings but if there were and they survived the war (of either sex) then I imagine his family line are likely to have family photos that include him.  A search of online family trees might prove profitable.

Edited by FROGSMILE

The Eton College Chronicle, issue number 1636, which was published in December 1917 included this obituary.

TheEtonCollegeChronicleNo1636page335GBFSamuelsonsourcedarchivesetoncollege.png.d646e9dbcd7b4cd9ee335bef9aeae0e0.png

Image courtesy The Eton College Archives https://archives.etoncollege.com/PDFViewer/web/viewer.html?file=%2fFilename.ashx%3ftableName%3dta_chronicles%26columnName%3dfilename%26recordId%3d768

They may also have a picture of him. The Eton War List has 5 other Samuelson's listed as serving.

@HarryBrook has already provided a birth date of the 26th January 1897, which would also tie in with him being aged 20 when he died. The birth of a Geoffrey Bernard Fitz Roy Samuelson, mothers' maiden name Harbord was registered with the civil authorities in the Kensington District in the January to March quarter, (Q1), of 1897.

On the 1901 Census of England & Wales the 4 year old Geoffrey Samuelson, born Chelsea, was recorded living at 19 Pont Street, Chelsea.

19PontStreetChelseasourcedGoogleStreetViews.png.c8e95cea918bd10f256f9ebff5304092.png

Image dated June 2022 and believed to be number 19 sourced courtesy Google Street Views.

There was only one household recorded at this address - that of his parents Herbert, (aged 36, a Bill Discount Broker, born Banbury, Oxfordshire) and Sybil, (aged 25 and born Chelsea). As well as Geoffrey the couple also have a 1 year old son, Rupert, born Chelsea. Living with them is Sybils' mother, Lady Eleanor Harbord, a married woman aged 46 and born Chelsea. Completing the household are 8 live-in servants. (The birth of a Rupert Eric Herbert Samuelson, mothers' maiden name Harbord, was registered in the Kensington District in Q1 1900).

Geoffrey should turn up on the 1911 Census of England & Wales at Eton, but I'm struggling to find him. For some of the house returns each student appears to have filled in their own line of the schedule, so not only is some of the handwriting over ornate \ appaling, it's difficult to get a feel for letter formation.  Although this house return appears to be in a single hand it's only my best guess that Geoffrey is the individual on line 27. The source I'm using, Genes Reunited, has transcribed it as Geoffrey Lamnetson. It may be possibly by tracking back to find the House Master on an earlier page of the return in conjunction with the information on the Eton College Archive and the Eton War List to see if it's the correct house for Geoffrey.

GeoffreyLamnetsonorisitSamuelsonEtonCollege1911CensusofEandWsourcedGenesReunited.jpg.24eb9b44cc7e23fbfaacd1c74df94828.jpg

Image courtesy Genes Reunited.

Parents Herbert, (46, Discount Broker) and Sybil, (35), were now living at 58 Grosvenor Street, West London. The couple state they have been married 15 years and the union has produced two children, both then still alive. Neither of their children were recorded with them on the night of the census, just a visitor and 9 live-in servants.

In the Eton War List G.B.F. Samuelson is shown as having been in "R.S.de.H." house. There is also an R.E.H. Samuelson, also in "R.S. de.H", whose Great War military service was as a 2nd Lieutenant in the Coldstream Guards. https://archive.org/details/listofetonianswh00eton/page/n241/mode/2up?q=Samuelson

Rupert may have been too young to be sent overseas before the end of the fighting.

This branch of the Samuelsons and the Harbord's are covered on this page of The Peerage website. https://www.thepeerage.com/p7053.htm#i70529

Rupert, born 18th October 1899, would carry on with the Coldstream Guards according to that website, seeing service again in WW2 and finishing his career as a Major. https://www.thepeerage.com/p7054.htm#i70531

Possibly forum member @Coldstreamer may be aware of other image sources.

Cheers,
Peter

Edited by PRC
1) Typos 2) correct first The Peerage site weblink

1 hour ago, PRC said:

The Eton College Chronicle, issue number 1636, which was published in December 1917 included this obituary.

TheEtonCollegeChronicleNo1636page335GBFSamuelsonsourcedarchivesetoncollege.png.d646e9dbcd7b4cd9ee335bef9aeae0e0.png

Image courtesy The Eton College Archives https://archives.etoncollege.com/PDFViewer/web/viewer.html?file=%2fFilename.ashx%3ftableName%3dta_chronicles%26columnName%3dfilename%26recordId%3d768

They may also have a picture of him. The Eton War List has 5 other Samuelson's listed as serving.

@HarryBrook has already provided a birth date of the 26th January 1897, which would also tie in with him being aged 20 when he died. The birth of a Geoffrey Bernard Fitz Roy Samuelson, mothers' maiden name Harbord was registered with the civil authorities in the Kensington District in the January to March quarter, (Q1), of 1897.

On the 1901 Census of England & Wales the 4 year old Geoffrey Samuelson, born Chelsea, was recorded living at 19 Pont Street, Chelsea.

19PontStreetChelseasourcedGoogleStreetViews.png.c8e95cea918bd10f256f9ebff5304092.png

Image dated June 2022 and believed to be number 19 sourced courtesy Google Street Views.

There was only one household recorded at this address - that of his parents Herbert, (aged 36, a Bill Discount Broker, born Banbury, Oxfordshire) and Sybil, (aged 25 and born Chelsea). As well as Geoffrey the couple also have a 1 year old son, Rupert, born Chelsea. Living with them is Sybils' mother, Lady Eleanor Harbord, a married woman aged 46 and born Chelsea. Completing the household are 8 live-in servants. (The birth of a Rupert Eric Herbert Samuelson, mothers' maiden name Harbord, was registered in the Kensington District in Q1 1900).

Geoffrey should turn up on the 1911 Census of England & Wales at Eton, but I'm struggling to find him. For some of the house returns each student appears to have filled in their own line of the schedule, so not only is some of the handwriting over ornate \ appaling, it's difficult to get a feel for letter formation.  Although this house return appears to be in a single hand it's only my best guess that Geoffrey is the individual on line 27. The source I'm using, Genes Reunited, has transcribed it as Geoffrey Lamnetson. It may be possibly by tracking back to find the House Master on an earlier page of the return in conjunction with the information on the Eton College and the Eton War List to see if it's the correct house for Geoffrey.

GeoffreyLamnetsonorisitSamuelsonEtonCollege1911CensusofEandWsourcedGenesReunited.jpg.24eb9b44cc7e23fbfaacd1c74df94828.jpg

Image courtesy Genes Reunited.

Parents Herbert, (46, Discount Broker) and Sybil, (35), were now living at 58 Grosvenor Street, West London. The couple state they have been married 15 years and the union has produced two children, both then still alive. Neither of their children were recorded with them on the night of the census, just a visitor and 9 live-in servants.

In the Eton War List G.B.F. Samuelson is shown as having been in "R.S.de.H." house. There is also an R.E.H, Samuelson, also in "R.S. de.H", whose Great War military service was as a 2nd Lieutenant in the Coldstream Guards. https://archive.org/details/listofetonianswh00eton/page/n241/mode/2up?q=Samuelson

Rupert may have been too young to be sent overseas before the end of the fighting.

This branch of the Samuelsons and the Harbord's are covered on this page of The Peerage website. https://www.thepeerage.com/p7054.htm#i70531

Rupert, born 18th October 1899, would carry on with the Coldstream Guards according to that website, seeing service again in WW2 and finishing his career as a Major. https://www.thepeerage.com/p7054.htm#i70531

Possibly forum member @Coldstreamer may be aware of other image sources.

Cheers,
Peter

A superb piece of research Peter, I always find your work deeply impressive, and invariably enjoy reading the outcome.  I found the Eton College obituary deeply moving.  As with so many, such a short life.  He was clearly a gallant young fellow and I can imagine that his Guardsmen probably followed him with affection and devotion, as young men of his class were trained and encouraged to know and look after their soldiers with the greatest attention to detail.  I hope that a photo of him might be found.

Edited by FROGSMILE

I am really amazed at the amount of data everyone has submitted. This puts a face with a great and poignant story to a name on a sword. Thanks so much. Highest regards,

Randy W

The Harbord family, of which Geoffreys' mother Sybil had been born a member, were a big name in Norfolk Society. Sybil was the daughter of the Hon Major Walter Harbord. When he was born he was someway off the family title of Baron Suffield, but by the Edwardian era he was second in line, an older brother being the 5th Baron. Unfortunately for Walter, (died 1913) the older brother outlived him by a few months, (died 1914).

The Harbord family were centred around Gunton Hall and Cromer, but through marriage they pop up all over the county and seem to have been the perennial hosts of large family gatherings. The Norfolk County Archive has two large photograph albums that belonged to the Gunton Harbord's that seem to cover the 1890's to the 1920's. There are a few up on the County Picture Archive website but give no details of who is present. It's a longshot but if the pictures in the albums have better labelling as to who is present then it may be possible that the Samuelsons' feature.

I have come across reports of the deaths \ woundings \ military careers other members of the extended Harbord family in the Norfolk press even when there is no immediate Norfolk connection for the specific individual. I've checked my transcribed notes and don't have anything for a Samuelson as yet, but I've probably not transcribed 10% of my notes from visits to the archives so there may be something buried away there.

Cheers,
Peter

• 2 weeks later...

I have checked my records and hve t found a picture of him

Have you looked on fmp papers ? I find quite a lot in “the tatler”

On 12/07/2023 at 21:51, Randy Wells said:

I have Lt Samuelson's personalized 1897 officers sword.

Welcome to GWF.

Just wondering if you could possilbly offer a little 'reward' to the members who have aided you so far and perhaps in the future [especially for @PRC for his splendid work] = Might it be possible to post a detailed photo(s) of the sword please?

I feel likely to be of interest to many others too.

In hope ...

M

P.S. And of course, if you find your 'Holy Grail', a photo(s) of the officer too - always good to put a face to a brave man.  In even more hope ... :thumbsup:

Edited by Matlock1418

What was his alma mater, might there be a school or college photograph?  Most of the reputable public schools published a roll of honour.

Edited by FROGSMILE

The man himself in 1914, from the Eton College archives.

https://catalogue.etoncollege.com/object-pa-a-62-199-2013

There are a number of other group photos of both him and his younger brother Rupert in the Eton College archives, all taken from several albums of photographs made by their housemaster, R S de Havilland. If you do an advanced search of the Eton College collections online catalogue using the word Samuelson in the general text search box, and limit the dates from 1911 to 1914, all of the photographs that are returned will include him or his younger brother, mostly engaged in rowing, apart from the portrait posted above.

https://catalogue.etoncollege.com/advanced-search

Edited by Tawhiri

14 minutes ago, Tawhiri said:

There are a number of other group photos of both him and his younger brother Rupert in the Eton College archives, all taken from several albums of photographs made by their housemaster, R S de Havilland. If you do an advanced search of the Eton College collections online catalogue using the word Samuelson in the general text search box, and limit the dates from 1911 to 1914, all of the photographs that are returned will include him or his younger brother, mostly engaged in rowing, apart from the portrait posted above.

https://catalogue.etoncollege.com/advanced-search 

Well found Tawhiri.  I imagine that he was too young to have gone to university and was one of those poor little sods slaughtered before it was even really necessary for him to shave.  He might have been in the Eton OTC (junior division) though.

Edited by FROGSMILE

1 hour ago, Tawhiri said:

Nice find. :thumbsup:

M

Thank you for posting the photos, it’s a sword that’s beautiful and poignant in equal measure.  It seems odd to me that the family gave it up.  Perhaps they died out.

Edited by FROGSMILE

7 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

It seems odd to me that the family gave it up.  Perhaps they died out.

Younger brother Rupert only had two daughters, so there were certainly no direct male heirs of either Geoffrey or Rupert.

9 minutes ago, Tawhiri said:

Younger brother Rupert only had two daughters, so there were certainly no direct male heirs of either Geoffrey or Rupert.

Thanks Tawhiri, I can imagine how two women might have seen the sword as depressing and futile and want to move on.

Edited by FROGSMILE

23 minutes ago, Randy Wells said:

Lt Samuelson sword

Thank you for the photos - as you can tell, already appreciated :)

M

I'm pretty sure the Samuelson dedication was a remembrance placed on his sword later. I have several British personalized swords I have collected over the years. I've always wondered why they were being sold. I would have thought they would be family heirlooms to be kept and cherished. British swords are really story tellers just by themselves. They often have the royal cypher, neat maker marks, sometimes the unit and or owners name etched into the blade. The hilts tell even more info as to year of use, whether artillery, cavalry or infantry use. US swords are also cool but not as ornate or as informative.

Thanks for all the info and support.

10 minutes ago, Randy Wells said:

I'm pretty sure the Samuelson dedication was a remembrance placed on his sword later. I have several British personalized swords I have collected over the years. I've always wondered why they were being sold. I would have thought they would be family heirlooms to be kept and cherished. British swords are really story tellers just by themselves. They often have the royal cypher, neat maker marks, sometimes the unit and or owners name etched into the blade. The hilts tell even more info as to year of use, whether artillery, cavalry or infantry use. US swords are also cool but not as ornate or as informative.

Thanks for all the info and support.

There were periods when there was great disillusionment about the sacrifices families made during WW1, particularly those of what one might describe as the sword bearing classes.  This phenomenon seemed to be in two phases, the first in the early 1930s, when many landed family estates finally went under, in part due to taxation policies, and the second during the early 1960s, perhaps epitomised by the popularity of the successful musical ‘Oh What a Wonderful War’.  Both these periods seemed to mark times when such artefacts lost their family cachet and were at best, sold, and at worst, dumped in rubbish skips.

Edited by FROGSMILE