The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Lt Geoffrey Bernard Fitz-Roy Samuelson Coldstream Guards

Randy Wells

On 27/07/2023 at 15:08, Tawhiri said:

The man himself in 1914, from the Eton College archives.

https://catalogue.etoncollege.com/object-pa-a-62-199-2013

There are a number of other group photos of both him and his younger brother Rupert in the Eton College archives, all taken from several albums of photographs made by their housemaster, R S de Havilland. If you do an advanced search of the Eton College collections online catalogue using the word Samuelson in the general text search box, and limit the dates from 1911 to 1914, all of the photographs that are returned will include him or his younger brother, mostly engaged in rowing, apart from the portrait posted above.

https://catalogue.etoncollege.com/advanced-search

Thanks @Tawhiri - great find :)

GeoffreySamuelsonmontagev1allimagerightsEtonCollege.png.9c9e7ff6c236f679d631d97ab53f0b68.png

No new intellectual property is claimed for the above. All image rights remain with the current owners and restrictions on reuse may well apply.

Cheers,
Peter

• 2 months later...

Hello, 

I've been looking up information on family who've served throughout the two wars, and have come across your post. I have had knowledge for some time of Geoffrey having fought and died in Cambrai, and served myself in Afghanistan with 3 Rifles, who were Devon & Dorset Light Regiment prior to amalgamation. I was initially under the impression I was the first in my family to have served, however it has since transpired there have been a number of us throughout the last 100 years or more who have.

I have searched through peerage websites and ancestry websites looking for my own, and believe Geoffrey to have been a distant relative.

I'm the son of Francis Peel Waring Samuelson, who is the son of Guy Weston Samuelson. He in turn was the son of Godfrey Blundell Samuelson. 

Geoffrey Bernard FitzRoy Samuelson is the son of Sir Herbert Walter Samuelson, who was my father's grandfather's brother. My name is Richard Bernard Samuelson, and I served with 3rd Battalion The Rifles between 2009 & 2013 (30086454). 

I'm wondering if there'd be a possibility of procuring this sword somehow, in order to add to a collection of family war heirlooms I hope to create.

Kindly, 

Richard Samuelson 

Hi @richsam88 and welcome to the forum :)

@Randy Wells hadn't been back to the forum since the end of July, but is following this thread and should get notifications that there have been responses - and now I've given him a shout out he should get another notification as well!

Cheers,
Peter

• 2 weeks later...

My apologies for not replying sooner but I have been traveling and involved in other issues on the home front. I have had the Samuelson sword for many years and its one of my favorites. I do not want to part with it at this time but eventually I will start to divest of my collection and will contact Richard at that time.

I do have a few other personalized British swords that I will eventually ask for help in gathering info on the original owners. Thanks to all.

Randy Wells