The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

James Fitzgerald, 6th E Surrey, marked as Deserter.

LynFitz

image.jpg.9214b1f61e51ac6f0daecfa35385e5cf.jpgimage.jpg.cfeb7e127add7e9a80fe0d5a4d5ae655.jpgJames Fitzgerald 2122, E Surreys was reported as a deserter from 7 Nov 1915. However the family understood that he had joined a different regiment as the corps he was with was still based in England, and he wished to serve overseas.

We have a couple of photographs, one of poor quality, could any one advise which regiment they think he may have joined, and confirm his rank.

Many thanks

• Admin

Welcome to the forum. The soldiers are badged to the Royal Artillery. The lower photograph shows one stripe indicating the appointment of Lance Corporal. 

Thanks, yes I have his Attestation Papers, clearly marked Deserter.

Thanks for the info about Regiment and Rank, it gives me a starting point.

image.jpg

• Admin

Lyn

Don't be confused by my earlier post, the man in the Police Gazette is NOT your James Fitzgerald.

Good luck with your research.

Lyn,

Welcome to GWF.

You haven't indicated that he died during or shortly after the war [so I'm rather suspecting he didn't] = Please advise his life status at the end of the war.

It may be that he was listed on an Absent Voters' List(s) in 1918 and/or 1919 = Please advise his potential place of residence post war.

or he might have claimed a Disability Pension = Please advise his potential place of residence post war.

M

Having a speculative punt that he might have claimed medal and/or a disability pension I went searching under names and a Surrey Reg, which only turns up with:

James FITZGERALD, 33691, The Queens R,  66205, Labour Corps - A BWM & VM [so only in a ToW after 31/12/1915] - SWB listed

and 66205 turns up as:

James FITZGERALD,  Queens RWS, Middlesex, Rifle Brigade and Labour Corps, 66205, Discharged 11-2-18 . Recived a pension award pf 27/6 pw from 12.2.18 to 12.3.18 [The 100% rate - likely a temporary rate whilst any further disability and pension was sorted out] His address was 129 Walton Rd, Manor Park = Is this address known for 'your' James FITZGERALD?

[Before anyone comments - I fully recognise East Surrey is not listed!!!]

M

Thanks so much for all your suggestions.

James was from the Hounslow / Twickenham area.

James survived the war, the next information I have for him is that he joined the CWWG organisation and was Woking for them in Mons, Belgium, where he married and died in about 1970.

Lyn

1 hour ago, LynFitz said:

James was from the Hounslow / Twickenham area.

James survived the war, the next information I have for him is that he joined the CWWG organisation and was Woking for them in Mons, Belgium, where he married and died in about 1970.

Thanks for getting back.

Had previously tried pension records at WFA/Fold3 for Twickenham and had no results. Now tried the same for Hounslow [and likewise for Woking and Mons!] and similarly no results.

Have you found him on the 1921 Census? - possibly with other known family members ??  May offer a post-war address and a lead back in time and of course some military details, see below  ??  The 1911 Census may offer other relatives.

Though I believe frequently a challenge I have to hope that you and/or another member(s) can find something on the 1918 & 1919 Absent Voters' Lists ??

M

I know I am just throwing ideas your way but ... sometimes men enlisted / re-enlisted under an alias ... a mother's maiden surname was a quite common surname for an alias. 

Keeping the same forename was common and seems to have been easier for the man and yet a mother's maiden name might allow NoK to find a man if they really wanted [e.g. if he had disappeared, potentially having died]

Just another idea.

M

Edited by Matlock1418
typo

3 hours ago, Michelle Young said:

The soldiers are badged to the Royal Artillery

Lyn,

You are probably aware the Royal Artillery comprised three branches: the Royal Horse Artillery, the Royal Field Artillery and the Royal Garrison Artillery [heavier guns]

Unfortunately there are quite a few James FITZGERALD listed under those options - 205 MIC and also 102 pension records [the handier set of records with addresses - though many from Ireland and I have not spotted 'your' JF from the locations you have suggested so far] - there may have been more who served, typically Home Service only, who didn't qualify for either of such record sets.

M

Edited by Matlock1418