Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Another - Who are they?

Shayne

3 hours ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

I'd say 8 myself.

Yes I think it’s 8 too. 

11 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

In seeking information I have been quite shocked how little detailed record there is of the US Army in WW1 compared with other conflicts.

I agree.  We studied WWII and the Civil War so much I could not remember even the smallest detail about WWI we learned in history class.  I have been doing my research based on things discussed in the forum and this listing off Battle, engagements that I could make out on his discharge papers. The last Discharge paper I have says he was in the Army of Occupation in Germany - 8th Infantry, Company I so obviously he had left the 3rd by then but I don't know for what reasons you change Infantries.

The other thing I don't know a lot about is the setup of the Army.  Infantry, Regiment, Army of... I'm not sure how all that falls in order.  I can't find a simple chart of that or General Orders of the War Department.  My grandmother joined WAAC in Sept of 1942 and then was discharged in July of 1943. It gives a reason on the discharge papers but I can't find that coding when I search for it on the internet. I have not given up though!  There is too much info on the internet not to stumble on it eventually!

Major Battles.jpg

7 minutes ago, Shayne said:

I agree.  We studied WWII and the Civil War so much I could not remember even the smallest detail about WWI we learned in history class.  I have been doing my research based on things discussed in the forum and this listing off Battle, engagements that I could make out on his discharge papers. The last Discharge paper I have says he was in the Army of Occupation in Germany - 8th Infantry, Company I so obviously he had left the 3rd by then but I don't know for what reasons you change Infantries.

The other thing I don't know a lot about is the setup of the Army.  Infantry, Regiment, Army of... I'm not sure how all that falls in order.  I can't find a simple chart of that or General Orders of the War Department.  My grandmother joined WAAC in Sept of 1942 and then was discharged in July of 1943. It gives a reason on the discharge papers but I can't find that coding when I search for it on the internet. I have not given up though!  There is too much info on the internet not to stumble on it eventually!

Major Battles.jpg

The usual breakdown for the US Infantry was as follows from bottom up:

1. Squad. (equivalent of British Section)

2. Platoon.

3. Company.

4. Battalion.

5. Regiment** (equivalent of British Brigade)

6. Infantry Division.

7. Corps. (e.g. 7th US Corps)

8. Army. (e.g. 3rd US Army)

**the status and contextual meaning of a U.S. Army and British Army ‘regiment’ were different.

Edited by FROGSMILE