The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

109 Heavy Battery, Royal Garrison Artillery

ianshuter

Looking for help with confirming which Brigade the 109 Heavy Battery RGA ended up in so that i can find the relevant war diary. I initially thought 60th Bde but the war diary is not helpful in confirming whether 109th was part of it or not.

I am researching Gunner 98642 Henry Howkins of Stretton on Dunsmore who died of wounds on Saturday 30th March 1918 at the 11th Australian Field Ambulance, Mericourt.

Henry is named on the Stretton War Memorial and he is the last of the 16 men I needed find and research.

My research so far https://www.swfhs.org.uk/index.php/war-memorial-transcriptions/war-memorial-transcritions-s-z/stretton-dunsmore-wm/16-the-men-who-fell-in-ww1/2653-gnr-h-howkins

Update. I can find mention of 109th Battery being part of 60 Brigade in Dec 1916 but no mention of them in 60 Brigade for Jan, Feb, Mar or Apr 1918

WO95-5494 Allocation Units..... It looks like 109 Heavy Battery was allocated to 6th Brigade RGA

image.png.ec801f339878cf539d7a59c947c6a097.png

Brilliant thank you, and I learned about Allocation Units, never knew it existed