The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Photo - Officers, 4th (Reserve) Battalion, Seaforth Highlanders, May 1916.

mrfrank

24 minutes ago, Tom Lang said:

They became 3/4th (Reserve), 3/5th (Reserve) and 3/6th (Reserve) respectively, on 8 Apr 1916.

They became the 4th Reserve, 5th Reserve and 6th Reserve respectively - they dropped the referral to them being the 3rd line of their parent Battalion.

However just to make things nice and simple :), officers on the establishment of, (for example) the 4th Battalion who are actually assigned to one of its line Battalions will appear in the monthly officer lists with either a 1, 2 or 3 in front of their name even after that date. There are some links posted to some of the officer lists where William Stewart was identified as the Adjutant earlier on in the thread where you can see how it worked in practice and will hopefully make things clearer than my attempt at an explanation !

But definately 4th Reserve, definately Territorial Force and definately different to the 1/4th and so correct to distinguish.

Cheers,
Peter

49 minutes ago, Tom Lang said:

Am I 'correct' to distinguish the 1/4th Battalion (T.F.) from this 'other' 3/4th (Reserve) Battalion (T.F.)?

I think so yes.  As I understand it the 3 prefix was dropped so that it just became the 4th (Reserve) Battalion.  A similar process seems to have happened to a lot of the fractioned ‘Reserve’ battalions.

After note:  I see that I’ve unintentionally cross posted with Peter.  He has explained it much more fully.

Edited by FROGSMILE

12 minutes ago, PRC said:

They became the 4th Reserve, 5th Reserve and 6th Reserve respectively - they dropped the referral to them being the 3rd line of their parent Battalion.

However just to make things nice and simple :), officers on the establishment of, (for example) the 4th Battalion who are actually assigned to one of its line Battalions will appear in the monthly officer lists with either a 1, 2 or 3 in front of their name even after that date. There are some links posted to some of the officer lists where William Stewart was identified as the Adjutant earlier on in the thread where you can see how it worked in practice and will hopefully make things clearer than my attempt at an explanation !

But definately 4th Reserve, definately Territorial Force and definately different to the 1/4th and so correct to distinguish.

Cheers,
Peter

6 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

I think so yes.  As I understand it the 3 prefix was dropped so that it just became the 4th (Reserve) Battalion.  A similar process seems to have happened to a lot of the fractioned ‘Reserve’ battalions.

Thank you gentlemen.   The murk is clearer now.

Tom.

Hi Mr Frank

As it happens, I am researching the history of my relative, Francis Warburton Brown, who was in the Seaforth Highlanders 1914 - 1918 (1914 as a Private, 1916 as a 2nd Lieutenant and 1918 as a Captain. I would be very grateful if you could send me the photograph with an indication of which one was F W Brown?

I know he was awarded the Military Cross in January 1918 (I have no details of the citation). He suffered a gunshot wound (sounds like it was a "clean" wound where bullet had entered and exited his shoulder without breaking any bones) in 1915 and was prisoner of war in 1918. Some of this material was given in reply to my earlier post, but if you require any details, please let me know.

Many thanks

Hi, Know a little about Francis W Brown. He was a bank clerk for the bank of Scotland in London,and instead of waiting for a commission enlisted as a Private. He however was commissioned, having reached the rank of Lance Sergeant prior to Neuve Chapelle. His MC was a General Citation, birthday honours award and yes he was captured during the German Spring Offensive. He married in 1914 in Bedford to Mabel Ellen Collins a Kent Girl. They lived in Harrow until the mid-50's and then retired to Cornwall. Mabel died1961, Francis remarried 1966 and died later that year!