The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Help in identifying a building/hospital

familyhistoryman

I need help in identifying this building (hospital).

The solider standing behind the nurse is John Lewis Heap No 22619 RAMC. I cannot find a medal index card, so I assume that he did not serve overseas. He enlisted 28 May 1915 and he spent time at Netley Hospital and was an inpatient 7 – 15 Nov 1915 at Wharncliffe War Hospital and again 30 Oct – 24 Nov 1916.

Many thanks

John Lewis Heap.jpg

36 minutes ago, familyhistoryman said:

I need help in identifying this building (hospital).

The solider standing behind the nurse is John Lewis Heap No 22619 RAMC. I cannot find a medal index card, so I assume that he did not serve overseas. He enlisted 28 May 1915 and he spent time at Netley Hospital and was an inpatient 7 – 15 Nov 1915 at Wharncliffe War Hospital and again 30 Oct – 24 Nov 1916.

Many thanks

John Lewis Heap.jpg

I'm 99% certain that is at Wharncliffe War Hospital - note the styling of the window tops and the circular decorations just visible in your photo which both match this exactly:

YO 2779 - Wharncliffe War Hospital, Sheffield, Yorkshire – JB Archive

Edit - and another clearer one. You can even see the same matched cross-hatching by the windows in this one:

Pin on Quick saves

Edited by Andrew Upton

Many thanks Andrew and Peter

Regards, Tony

Fold3 have 15 pages of discharge document for this soldier. It confirms he only served at 'home'...

image.png.16c22390f48f94fc4eca9055d49f7b8e.png

George

20 hours ago, familyhistoryman said:

John Lewis Heap No 22619 RAMC. I cannot find a medal index card, so I assume that he did not serve overseas. He enlisted 28 May 1915 and he spent time at Netley Hospital and was an inpatient 7 – 15 Nov 1915 at Wharncliffe War Hospital and again 30 Oct – 24 Nov 1916.

From a pension index card at WFA/Fold3

His hospitalisation certainly did not end his military career - he was discharged 9-9-19 and awarded a disability pension of 5/6pw 10-9-19 to 9-3-20 [the 6-14% / 10% degree of disability rate for a pension class V soldier/Pte - a six month initial period was not uncommon for men thought likely to recover - the lack of continuation of pension suggests he was subsequently deemed to have recovered]

His address was recorded as: 1 Browning St, Hoadleston, Darwen [Hoddlesden I would presume]

M