The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Brig Gen Christopher Reginald Buckle

Shiny

Hi All,

I've recently discovered that I am distantly related to Brigadier General Christopher Reginald Buckle and his son Lt Col Christopher Galbraith Buckle and really want to find out more.

I've seen this thread about his son which has been a great help:

Lt-Col C. G. Buckle - Soldiers and their units - The Great War (1914-1918) Forum (greatwarforum.org)

I now want to find out about Dad, Brigadier General Christopher Reginald Buckle.

Can anyone help with which war diary's I would find him in please, I have no idea where to start researching someone at this level so any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks very much,

Michael

28 minutes ago, Shiny said:

Hi All,

I've recently discovered that I am distantly related to Brigadier General Christopher Reginald Buckle and his son Lt Col Christopher Galbraith Buckle and really want to find out more.

I've seen this thread about his son which has been a great help:

Lt-Col C. G. Buckle - Soldiers and their units - The Great War (1914-1918) Forum (greatwarforum.org)

I now want to find out about Dad, Brigadier General Christopher Reginald Buckle.

Can anyone help with which war diary's I would find him in please, I have no idea where to start researching someone at this level so any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks very much,

Michael

For a start point he was Commander Royal Artillery (CRA) in the 2nd Army, so you should look at the war diary for that formation:https://livesofthefirstworldwar.iwm.org.uk/lifestory/582815

Is your moustache an imperial soup strainer like his?

His wife was involved in nursing during the war at the Royal Military Hospital Netley and left an account where she mentions her husband here: https://www.netley-military-cemetery.co.uk/staff-who-worked-and-helped-at-the-hospital-a-f/buckle-elizabeth-braithwaite-turner/  she also wrote a book about her experiences.

His personal papers along with his wife’s diary are at the National Archives: https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/c/F271518

IMG_0203.jpeg

IMG_0204.jpeg

IMG_0205.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

Thanks Frogsmile,

2 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

Is your moustache an imperial soup strainer like his?

It's pretty special isn't it, reminds me of General Melchard.

I didn't know about his wife so that's a big help.

I've tried searching second army, second army diary, second army Artillery, Commander Royal Artillery and a few other variations on the theme but just got nowhere, what am I missing?

Thanks again,

Michael 

20 hours ago, Shiny said:

Thanks Frogsmile,

It's pretty special isn't it, reminds me of General Melchard.

I didn't know about his wife so that's a big help.

I've tried searching second army, second army diary, second army Artillery, Commander Royal Artillery and a few other variations on the theme but just got nowhere, what am I missing?

Thanks again,

Michael 

I’m not sure really.  Perhaps @rflory@ianjonesncl or @David Porter can advise.

Edited by FROGSMILE

No problem, I've been reading Elizabeth's account you linked to, it's really interesting. Thanks a lot

7 minutes ago, Shiny said:

No problem, I've been reading Elizabeth's account you linked to, it's really interesting. Thanks a lot

Her book is probably interesting too.  Amazon is one source for it, but there will be others.