The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Bmbdr G.D Brown 141st Siege Battery

Gary Fisher

A member of my Cricket Club (Timperley CC) - Bmbdr G.D Brown of the 141st Siege Battery was killed on May 1st 1918. On the CWGC database he is the only member of his unit KIA on that day.

It seems that the 141st Siege Battery was part of the 28 Heavy Artillery Group. I have downloaded the 28 HAG war diary to see what was happening late April / early May and unfortunately this period is not specifically covered so no information on casualties around that time.

The date closest to Bmbdr Browns death is 23rd April when the 141st is firing in support of an attack by the 184th & 12th Infantry Brigades. Their 6" howitzers were to fire at houses in 'Q2.C & D' at 2 rounds per minute. 

At zero (0450hrs) + 9 they were to lift fire to:-

Q14 D 7 4, Q10 D75 80, Q9 D 3 5, Q9 A 6 9 & Q3 D 3 4 at 1 round per minute. They were told not to use '106 fuses' until Zero +9.

Does anyone have a trench map that show what the 141st were aiming at?

What is a '106 fuse'?

It looks as if the 28 HAG was stationed near La Pierre & Busnes at this time.

Does anyone know if the actual battery may have maintained a war diary that might detail actions and casualties around this time?

Here is hoping someone can help / advise further. Am I perhaps flogging a dead horse here?

Regards,

Gary

• Admin

Unfortunately most SBs and HBs didn't keep War Diaries and the best you can normally find is the HAG diary, which I see you have.

I can't help you with the Map Refs - hopefully someone can.

If you work out to which Corps/Army the 28/HAG belonged then I would suggest you have a look at the Corps and/or Army War Diary for the HQ HA or RA. Those Diaries often give you a bigger picture, sometimes with maps.

Regards

Russ

7 hours ago, Gary Fisher said:

What is a '106 fuse'?

This thread

but there are a number of other threads if you just search on this forum for "106 fuse"