The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Unknown Soldier

Weeford HoldcroftS

Can anyone identify this WW1 Soldier? He is believed to be around the Newcastle -Under Lyme area Staffordshire. All we know it was part of my wife's aunties photos and was her boyfriend who was killed during the war. Any information, regiment or other  observations gratefully received.

036.jpg

He’s a signaller in the Royal Artillery though I can’t read his shoulder titles to determine which branch (RFA, RHA or RGA).

Simon

I agree with Dai, it's difficult to tell from the shoulder title (I thought RHA, personally).

1 minute ago, Pat Atkins said:

it's difficult to tell from the shoulder title (I thought RHA, personally).

Yes, if you look at the bright bit, it looks like RGA.
If you look at the dark  (fabric enclosed by the G, and in between letters G & A, I think), it does look a bit like an H).

As a starter = Searching WFA/Fold3 pension records using "Artillery" and "Lyme" came up with these options of dead soldiers without an obvious widow [I've weeded those with widows]:

• BOOTH, Harry, 81213, RGA - Father [?]/mother, Balterley nr Crewe
  • COOMER, Bert  182595, RGA, died 25-4-18 - Father, Newcastle
  • VYSE, John Thomas, 107319, RFA Died 8.17 - Step-mother, Chesterton

Clearly you will need something more to suggest if one of these.

Searching under "RFA" or "RGA" or "RHA" will take more research and time [which unfortunately I don't have at the moment] but may be a further option. 

And of course "Newcastle under Lyme" may well be shortened to just "Newcastle" and that will bring a lot of spurious options from the North-East.

Best wisshes.

M

Just now, Weeford HoldcroftS said:

I have blown the photo up and it is RGA, thanks for the information given to date

Untitled-1.jpg

It’s definitely G or C that’s for sure

1 hour ago, Weeford HoldcroftS said:

I have blown the photo up and it is RGA, thanks for the information given to date

Untitled-1.jpg

Yes RGA, I agree. 

IMG_0856.jpeg

10 minutes ago, Weeford HoldcroftS said:

I have scanned at 600  DPi to see if anyone can add any more details

Cleaned.jpg

There isn’t really anything more to be identified, his rank is gunner and he is a signaller, as pointed out by mancpal. His cap is the earlier 1905 pattern commonly worn at home before embarkation to France and his appearance typical of those men who had portraits taken in Britain for family and other loved ones before departing for the seat of war.

IMG_0110.jpeg

IMG_0857.jpeg

IMG_0858.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

3 hours ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

Yes, if you look at the bright bit, it looks like RGA.
If you look at the dark  (fabric enclosed by the G, and in between letters G & A, I think), it does look a bit like an H).

You're right, Dai, I think - RGA

Hi all

We have a match thanks to Matlock1418 Harry Booth 81213, RGA  The photo has been handed down to my wife from her Great Aunty who was engaged to this chap. We knew he was killed in the war but we did not know his name. I have found his service record on Find My Past and it all links in with the locations, his place of work before joining up. He died of his wounds  27th October 1917 and is buried at Minty Farm Cemetary. Still trying to research what his wounds were and the circumstances that occurred. Many thanks for all your help it appears he is no longer unknown.

Just now, Weeford HoldcroftS said:

Hi all

We have a match thanks to Matlock1418 Harry Booth 81213, RGA  The photo has been handed down to my wife from her Great Aunty who was engaged to this chap. We knew he was killed in the war but we did not know his name. I have found his service record on Find My Past and it all links in with the locations, his place of work before joining up. He died of his wounds  27th October 1917 and is buried at Minty Farm Cemetary. Still trying to research what his wounds were and the circumstances that occurred. Many thanks for all your help it appears he is no longer unknown.

Even if i didnt help, im glad you found your man!

23 minutes ago, Weeford HoldcroftS said:

We have a match .... Harry Booth 81213, RGA 

Brilliant! - WFA helps again - so very pleased for you to have found your man. :)

M

Here's the helpful pension index card

BOOTHH.81213.png.c6588eb3a84941fe31ebbc629b7553d0.png

Image thanks to WFA/Fold3

There is another PIC as his father, Frank, and a pension ledger page as his mother, Matilda.

10/- pw would typically reflect prior dependance [RW 1918 Art 21(a)] or either or both parents being wholly or partly incapable of self-support from age or infirmity, and them being in pecuniary need [RW 1981 Art 21(b)] = between 3/6 and 15/-pw

M

3 hours ago, Weeford HoldcroftS said:

We have a match thanks to Matlock1418 Harry Booth 81213, RGA

Excellent result.
Matlock 1418 works his magic once again.
Don't forget -  Write his details on the back of the photo straight away, so that when it is passed on, he won't be forgotten again.