The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

MGC Recognition flash

1RWK

Good evening,

I was wondering if I could get some assistance from you knowledgeable people. I was given a set of recognition flashes and told they were MGC, I was hoping if someone would be able to confirm that please, they look to me to be similar to the colours of Cambridge.

I am trying to piece together the uniform and equipment of the MGC that would have worked with/alongside the West Kent Regiment.

Any help or information will be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Wayne

20231013_183128.jpg

10 hours ago, 1RWK said:

Good evening,

I was wondering if I could get some assistance from you knowledgeable people. I was given a set of recognition flashes and told they were MGC, I was hoping if someone would be able to confirm that please, they look to me to be similar to the colours of Cambridge.

I am trying to piece together the uniform and equipment of the MGC that would have worked with/alongside the West Kent Regiment.

Any help or information will be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Wayne

20231013_183128.jpg

They are not familiar to me but perhaps forum pal, @poona guard might be able to advise.

Hi 1RWK,

The flashes are the 1st/1st Cambridgeshires not MGC. Iwish someone would give me things like that. Do you want to sell them?

What RWK batalion are you wanting to match to the MGC?

Best,

Dave

Thank you for your reply. I'm looking for any/all info on the RWK and MGC, I.e who worked together and where etc, etc. I'd be interested in selling

Wayne

19 hours ago, 1RWK said:

19 hours ago, 1RWK said:

20231013_183128.jpg

36 minutes ago, poona guard said:

The flashes are the 1st/1st Cambridgeshires not MGC. Iwish someone would give me things like that. Do you want to sell them?

9 minutes ago, 1RWK said:

Thank you for your reply. I'm looking for any/all info on the RWK and MGC, I.e who worked together and where etc, etc. I'd be interested in selling

Wayne/Dave - I wouldn't get too excited over those if I was you. Quite a few reproductions of these were made up for a WW1 living history event a number of years ago. I was meant to be in attendance but ended up missing it for some reason, and I still have the pair I was issued in advance - they look identical...

Edited by Andrew Upton

1 hour ago, caladonia said:

Hello Poona Guard

The photo was found during a trawl of the net, presumably the website owners would know it's origins. Here's a contact for the owners if your interested.

https://www.friendsofthesuffolkregiment.org/contact.html

William

Forum member @Chief_Chum (Taff) is connected with “Friends of the Suffolk Regiment” and thus that website, so I imagine he might be able to help with the source of the photograph if Dave (Poona Guard) is interested in it for his forthcoming book on TF battalion badges.

Edited by FROGSMILE

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

With regard to the MGC connection, if you turn the patch 90 degrees it looks extraordinary like the patch worn by 55 MG Coy, 55 Brigade, 18 (Eastern) Division.

Kendo