The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Royal Engineers Serial Numbers and Tracing Units

t60

I wonder if anyone can help me please. I am researching a young man, Sapper Harold George Gower, who served in the Royal Engineers under his serial number of 541556. I know he served in Egypt at some point after 1916 but I am trying to determine which unit he served with. He was an Apprentice Railway Fitter prior to the war and I wonder if he served with one of the Railway Operating or Railway Construction Companies. I also think he joined a Territorial unit prior to the war, near Ashford in Kent, and was issued with the serial number of 2504.

Any information will be gratefully received.

The 6-digit number is probably (though not I suppose necessarily) a replacement for his original number, as a result of the renumbering of the TF in 1917.

• Admin

2502/541554 Phelps enlisted 02/07/1915 into the 2/7th Kent (Fortress) Company TF RE

2507/541559 Dennis enlisted 06/07/1915 into the 2/7th Kent (Fortress) Company TF RE

There seems to plenty of SRs to explore where and with whom men with similar RE TF numbers eventually served - e.g. Phelps did indeed go on to serve with 496th Field Company.

Regards

Russ

Thank you so much to everyone for their usefull information. Could I please ask if anyone knows if there is still available a Service Record for 2504/541556 Spr. H.G. Gower, RE ? I have looked in all the usual places with no success to date. He served an apprenticeship at the South Eastern Railway as a locomotive fitter which is why I assumed he was possible attached to a Railway Operating Company or similar unit but the comment from Terry seems to rule this out - is there a reason for this please.

Thank you again,

Tony McG.

Not certain you have seen it but have attached Medal Roll-courtesy Ancestry-

George

41629_625537_9497-00113.jpg

If he had been with a railway unit his name would be on the Transportation Troops medal roll - it is not  He would also have a number beginning  with WR which he hasn’t.
TR

Edited by Terry_Reeves

• Admin
2 hours ago, t60 said:

Could I please ask if anyone knows if there is still available a Service Record for 2504/541556 Spr. H.G. Gower, RE

If he had a SR, I wouldn't have needed to start looking at SRs of his closest contemporaries from which you might then be able to gain some meaningful insights by inference - and to which you could add further if interested.

Regards

Russ

Thank you all again for your valuable input to my research.

Best regards,

Tony McG