The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Tunnel

Mark Ellix

Hi , new to the group,  just wondering if anyone knows if there are tunnel systems in flanders that can be visited by the public,  I am aware of Passchendaele museum , polygon Wood etc, but was hoping to get access to  a tunnel system.

TIA

22 minutes ago, Mark Ellix said:

Hi , new to the group,  just wondering if anyone knows if there are tunnel systems in flanders that can be visited by the public,  I am aware of Passchendaele museum , polygon Wood etc, but was hoping to get access to  a tunnel system.

TIA

Not Flanders, there are tunnels at Vimy Ridge and the tunnels in Arras

You might like to look at the Durand Group website.

Lots of knowledge and expertise on tunnelling.

In addition, you can make a virtual visit to the Vimy tunnels using TrenchMapper. This is described on the Help Page, reproduced here:- "In a similar way you can visit inside one of the tunnels at Vimy. To do this, use the input box above Great War to Modern Map to visit map reference 36C.S.22.c.18.18. When the map has centred on that reference, right click and choose Street View here. Pan round until you see the preserved trench entrance to the tunnels. Use the white on screen arrows to proceed underground."

Vimytunnels.jpg.82deba34364d2263db35d3f0451052b0.jpgHoward

Many thanks for the replies,  I am going over in November,  and will pay a visit to Arras , the Wellington quarry is there and looks very interesting. 

Maybe a bit out your way, but I can highly recommend the visit to the tunnels at the Butte de Vauquois, West of Verdun.

Tours are run by Association des Amis de Vauquois ..... underground tours last 2 hours !!!

It's a fantastic experience, and typically French, with access that would probably not be allowed by British Health & Safety !  

https://butte-vauquois.fr/en/visit/

I can personally recommend the Vimy tunnels. Although I’ve stayed in Arras a number of times I’ve yet to visit the tunnels there. 
If you are aiming to visit Flanders you could visit Sanctuary Wood, not tunnels but trenches which are original though no doubt have been ‘maintained’ over the past century. It does give a feel of what life could have been like for the average Tommy/Fritz particularly if you visit after a period of rain. Flanders mud doesn’t appear to have changed much in the past hundred years ! 
There is so much to see on the Western Front it is well worth researching your itinerary as you can miss so much (even in a small area). 
Enjoy your visit.

Simon