The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Today's interesting Italian Front finds...

Simon127

Hello all, 

I came across these items today at an antiques fair.  These came from a house clearance with items to two generations of the same family who fought in both wars.  

As I understand it, there is a letter written in August 1918 from the British Red Cross in Italy trying to identify the whereabouts of one Corporal Leslie Smith (service number 303007) of the Royal Warwickshire Regiment.    

Found together with the letter is an Austrian cap badge commemorating service on, I think, the Isonzo front from 1915-1916.  A souvenir from the battlefields taken by our man?    

As always any more info on Corporal Smith would be very gratefully received.  There is a reference to MM after his name in the letter, but it seems unlikely that he would be a recipient of the Military Medal. 

Thanks in advance and best wishes,

Simon             

20240128_134540.jpg

20240128_134614.jpg

20240128_134621.jpg

From the Birmingham Daily Post, 28 November 1918 (courtesy of Find My Past) -- this is his link to Austria as he was a POW there.

Smith_303007.jpg

MIC has formerly 201007, Gloucestershire Regt - MR may offer more details. [I suspect GWF1967 may have viewed]

Leslie SMITH

M

Edited by Matlock1418
finish what I started

Previously served as Cpl. 201007. 2/4th Gloucestershire Regiment.  
 Reported Missing. 15/6/18. 16 Platoon. D.Coy. 5th Royal Warwickshire Regiment.  

As always gents, I am both stunned at the speed at which you've found these things, and very grateful.  There was a Glosters shoulder title in the lot which I would have also had if I'd known he'd served once in the Glosters!  

Many thanks indeed. 

Simon