Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Ronald George Bugge. Born around 1896. I believe he was in the Artillery

Chris Godfrey

I was hoping someone could help me track down a relative. He died in 1943 aged 47. I believe he was in the First World War as i have a cap badge showing that he was maybe in the Artillery.

His name is Ronald George Bugge. He was 47 when he died in 1943 so i believe his year of birth would have been 1896. He had a daughter named Shirley Bugge born 23rd November 1932. His address at the time of the birth of his daughter was 169 Banstead Road North, Carlshalton.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Ronald George BUGGE Has a MICC. of London Yeomanry, 2393, 

Later commissioned into the RA / RGA / Royal Garrison Artillery - his address given as 47 Winsham Grove, Clapham Common SW 11 when he claimed his medals 25/6/22

Anything ringing any bells?

M

Edited by Matlock1418
error removed

Chris, 

there is an R.Bugge with a medal index card indicating service with the Royal London Yeomanry (Service No. 2393). I can’t make out the next regiment on the card (Service No. 18519) and he was a private in both. The third bit indicates he was in the RA (which fits) attached to the RAOC with the rank of 2nd Lt. The address for his medals is Clapham Common. His entitlement was for the  14-15 star, BWM and VM. 
It’s an uncommon name so could be your man.

Simon

Edited by mancpal
Bad grammar

17 minutes ago, mancpal said:

I can’t make out the next regiment on the card (Service No. 18519)

I'm struggling with it too - GS Lrs [Lancers I think] with a number of GS-18519

The 1914-15 Star is on a CC Medal Roll [which would seem to match Corps of Cavalry] indicating he first went out as a ranker, not an officer.

His first ToW was 3 [Egyptian theatre] on 7-5-15 

M

I thought Lancers also but haven’t the foggiest about the GS prefix.

Simon

Just now, mancpal said:

I thought Lancers also but haven’t the foggiest about the GS prefix.

General Service I think [but now I'm pushing it way beyond my confidence zone and daren't even try to start to elaborate/explain!:unsure::ph34r:]

M

I’m with you .

Simon

23 hours ago, Chris Godfrey said:

His name is Ronald George Bugge. He was 47 when he died in 1943 so i believe his year of birth would have been 1896. He had a daughter named Shirley Bugge born 23rd November 1932. His address at the time of the birth of his daughter was 169 Banstead Road North, Carlshalton.

You're right! Using Freebmd and Findmypast I find he was born on the 6th. of March 1896.

In the 1939 Register he was still living at 169 Banstead Road, Sutton, with his wife Mabel I. Buckland, whom he married in late 1927.

aim

His 1914-15 Star entry is on a "General Service" Lancers roll; the page is all City of London Yeomanry men who qualified by entry into theatre 3(a) on 7/5/15; they all have 1" Res. Lcrs numbers (GS- prefixed which I agree is surely General Service here, as in other regimental numbering practices). 

I have no idea where theatre 3(a) was - as has been said, in 1915 3 signified Egypt, and according to the LLT the Rough Riders disembarked there in April 1915 prior to dismounted service in Gallipoli in August.

Might the GS-prefix numbers relate to the 1st Reserve Regiment of Cavalry? The LLT says it was: "formed early 1917 at the Curragh in Ireland. Trained men for the 5th, 9th, 12th, 16th, 17th and 21st Lancers, Bedfordshire Yeomanry, Lincolnshire Yeomanry, City of London Yeomanry, Surrey Yeomanry and East Riding Yeomanry." This might chime with men subsequently commissioned into other branches of the army; the Yeomanry regiments generally seem to have had more men commissioned from the ranks than infantry battalions..

image.png.93915d22a5564fdcf16888f5d1508035.png

1 hour ago, ianjonesncl said:

Unfortunately this is only a skeleton 'Life Story' based on the MIC mentioned above - reveals nothing more.

We still await a response from the OP as to whether this is possibly the right man/officer [but we are still only barely 24 hours from the original posting so I guess we should wait patiently]

M

If he is the same man as OP posted Ancestry has this

image.jpeg.82c505e51c5a5299bd0447ab084f1839.jpeg

his home Guard entry

George

Hi, I wrote a history of Winsham Grove which has a brief summary of all the known residents' war service. This included Ronald, but it was based the medal records so only says what you already know.

Incidentally his father was a surveyor who applied to the local authority for permission to plant trees in the newly built road. They misspelled his name, and the same spelling was used in the 1901 and 1911 Censuses so I assumed it was correct:

image.png.832db9fe0dec1a17162d469afaf04353.png

Because of the trees, Winsham Road was renamed Winsham Grove which it remains to this day, as do almost all the trees they planted.

I can easily send a photo of their house if you're interested. I'd love to see any photos you have of Ronald or his parents.

All the best, 

John