The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Canal du Nord Bridge

ike

Hello Everyone, I am doing some research on a bridge that is is in a photo of the Canadians crossing the dry section of the Canal du Nord. This bridge is on the road (Rue d'en Haut coming out of  the town of Moeuvres On the western side of the canal The bridge there today looks like the original which was damaged. Are these 2 bridges in the attached pictures the same? 

Thanksimage.png.92a34d2705718f246a4abcd39c00e597.png

Ike image.jpeg.008855785bcadbc04f4efdf8975466b9.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

The location may be the same but the bridge here was blown in 1918, then rebuilt, and again in 1940 and likely once more in 1944. What we see today is post-WW2. Most of these will disappear in the next few years when the Canal du Nord is widened and the battlefield here changed forever. 

Thanks so much for confirming this Paul. Very much appreciated. By the way just started listening to some of your podcasts on the "old front line" very good. I've been to a lot of the same places over the years 

As Paul says, probably changed/replaced several times, however interesting to see how the bridge design is replicated, eg from left 4 diagonal struts then 3 cross struts, probably same engineering manufacturing company.

Paul, nice to see you back on the the forum with your depth of knowledge.

Peter

9 hours ago, ike said:

Thanks so much for confirming this Paul. Very much appreciated. By the way just started listening to some of your podcasts on the "old front line" very good. I've been to a lot of the same places over the years 

Thanks - there's an episode on the Canal du Nord if you haven't seen it. 

Thanks