The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Captain Eric Newton RAMC

Dodram

I am researching Captain Eric Newton RAMC. He graduated from Aberdeen University in 1915. he was commisioned on 1st August 1915.  I have him in Egypt by 25th September 1915. The next I have found about him is being made RMO of the 129th Baluchi in January 1917. He died 5th August 1917 during the action at Nanyati.

Does anyone have any pointers as to where I look to find him between Sept 1915 and January 1917. I confess to finding the various war diaries in East Africa a bit challenging. I had assumed he would have been attached to a Field Ambulance but haven't managed to find him.

• 3 weeks later...
On 30/03/2024 at 19:49, Dodram said:

I am researching Captain Eric Newton RAMC. He graduated from Aberdeen University in 1915. he was commisioned on 1st August 1915.  I have him in Egypt by 25th September 1915. The next I have found about him is being made RMO of the 129th Baluchi in January 1917. He died 5th August 1917 during the action at Nanyati.

Does anyone have any pointers as to where I look to find him between Sept 1915 and January 1917. I confess to finding the various war diaries in East Africa a bit challenging. I had assumed he would have been attached to a Field Ambulance but haven't managed to find him.

@Dodram I suspect that for the majority of the Sept 1915 to January 1917 timeframe you’re looking at Lieutenant, later Captain, Newton R.A.M.C. spent it serving in Egypt.

As you suggest, the East African war diaries are challenging (if they even exist) and details are hard to come by but, having said that, there are a few entries to be found.  Capt. E. Newton first turns up on 12th December 1916 when he’s temporarily attached to No.2 South African General Hospital in Dar es Salaam for the purposes of duty and rations whilst pending posting orders, this suggests to me that he’s just arrived in theatre.  He’s struck off the Hospital’s attached strength on 18th December 1916 when he embarks aboard H.T. “Glen Cluny” bound for Kilwa and then, on arrival at Kibata on 22nd December 1916, he’s attached to D/120 Indian Field Ambulance vice Capt. Jolly.

The next posting I can find is on 24th January 1917 when Lieutenant Brown is admitted for malaria and is relieved by Capt. Newton.  Lieutenant Brown was the M.O. of the 129th Baluchis so it appears on the face of it that that’s the extent of Capt. Newton’s East African postings until his death later in that year.

Regards

Steve

Edited by SteveE

Thank you so much SteveE.  That fills in my gaps. 

My wife's great grandfather Captain Frank M Barnes RAMC was also in East Africa with 120th Indian Field Ambulance, mostly with B section. It's amazing how often these coincidences happen. 

If you are interested in learning a bit more about Eric Newton, Scottish Hockey Heritage Group have just launched a webpage about the sixteen Scottish Internationalists who lost their lives in The Great War.  The link is https://www.scottish-hockey-heritage.org/projects/lest-we-forget/ , though I will have to update Eric's service with the information you have supplied

thanks again

George