The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

medal collecting , you never know what will be found.

chaz

posted on the BMF but thought I would post here as it goes to prove what can be found from Ancestry and Google.

recently I purchase a trio and plaque to P W Longmuir, Black Watch. Also came with his brothers pair to G J Longmuir. Somerset LI.
I like to get as much paperwork as I can find.  Was not sure why I bought them as off topic for me.
A search through Ancestry gave the 1901 census among other items so a Google search followed to see if a photo. nothing found. 

after re-looking at the 1901 census there were three brothers, Percy William, age 6, died 1916, Gordon James , age 2, survived then John D age 8.
strange, I couldnt find a service /medal record for John. So, Google came to hand..

John Dickson Longmuir, last heard of in 1912.. a pantry steward on The Titanic. His body was either not found or not identified.
Never thought I would get a link to the Titanic, you never know what will turn up.

Both parents were dead by the start of WW1, in 5 short years there  was only one left, Gordon James lived until 1981