The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Medal needing returning.

Jimbobs

HI Recently joined site , excellent resource for information, Hopefully Simone can reunite this medal to the family of a soldier killed in action in WW1 . 
Bit of a coincidence on this metal detecting find as the named soldier on the medal , stayed a mile from my Grand fathers brother both from Glasgow  who was also Killed in action not in the same Battle  , but again within a mile of each other in separate years , Private Andrew Conley was my kin , and the soldiers medal which is still to be reunited with his descendants is Private H.W. Borland , not sure if this site allows Utube so I have cropped a still photograph of the video with his details , 

only part researched as his area has in the Gorbals Glasgow is now demolished , 

71DAE5E8-7CA3-4F1B-8DEB-B21F3593462A.png

8A1D5369-5081-4D1B-9365-B37A34C0CE7D.jpeg

60891564-09CF-4A1C-8F53-025C9FDCAC10.png

In my view it is always admirable to try and return an item (medals, photos etc) to the original recipients descendants. There is a caveat, do the descendants have any interest in their family history or once returned will it be immediately appear on an auction site? It is no doubt difficult/impossible to accurately assess the families interest. 
You say “part researched”, it would help members if you can post all the information you have. 
I suspect your man is Henry H. Borland, if so he didn’t see action in a theatre of war until on or after 1/1/16. He may have joined up prior to this but wasn’t sent abroad until after this date. 
The medal you have is the British War Medal. This is often the ‘missing’ medal when it comes to family collections, it being made of silver. Post WW1 saw a great many veterans fall upon hard times and often the silver value outweighed the sentimental value, i.e. put food on the table or starve whilst looking at your hard earned medal. 
Have you searched Ancestry to see if a family tree exists? I’d imagine if there is one then it’s a fair assumption that the family would be interested in its return. 
I don’t have any subscriptions to the genealogy websites so can’t really help much more. Your local library may have free access to one or more of such sites and in the past I have found the library staff more than willing to assist. 
Out of interest, whereabouts did you find it?

Simon

Jimbobs,

was the medal found in Renfrewshire by any chance?

Simon

good evening,

it's possbile for me to take a picture in this cemetery.

michel

On 13/05/2024 at 19:30, Jimbobs said:

HI Recently joined site , excellent resource for information, Hopefully Simone can reunite this medal to the family of a soldier killed in action in WW1 . 
Bit of a coincidence on this metal detecting find as the named soldier on the medal , stayed a mile from my Grand fathers brother both from Glasgow  who was also Killed in action not in the same Battle  , but again within a mile of each other in separate years , Private Andrew Conley was my kin , and the soldiers medal which is still to be reunited with his descendants is Private H.W. Borland , not sure if this site allows Utube so I have cropped a still photograph of the video with his details , 

only part researched as his area has in the Gorbals Glasgow is now demolished , 

71DAE5E8-7CA3-4F1B-8DEB-B21F3593462A.png

8A1D5369-5081-4D1B-9365-B37A34C0CE7D.jpeg

60891564-09CF-4A1C-8F53-025C9FDCAC10.png

Thanks for replies , I do understand if people want to have the medal or not , I have given that a lot of thought , and eventually have come to the conclusion it’s not my place to decide , do with it what they will , it’s not mine in my book,  hopefully it will at least bring his name to the table and the sacrifice of his life will see the light of day once more , I am the eternal optimist , hopefully it will be cherished by someone in the soldiers family , 

As a detectorist hunting for for forty years I’ve came across a good amount  of WW1 and W11  military Badges , mostly from the town dump fields , that’s we’re farmer payed or allowed the towns folk to dump the town waste on the less productive side of their fields , usualy North facing , as it helped fertilise the ground , 

That said I suspect the medal was in a jacket or trousers or skirt and simply thrown out , to eventually end up on the dump fields , you can tell one straight away with experience, buttons a plenty , ect , just usualy in little parts of field as the cart dumped ,  I will post up more information as I get it and yes it was found in Renfrewshire Patterton train station , fields just beside over flow car park , 

89D3C247-70E4-472D-839B-A079A0CC3EAF.png

It looks like a service record exists on Ancestry (I don’t have access) father’s name spelt Boreland for perhaps a brother James?

On the CWGC site a hand-amendment to his initials show Barland H M McD - edit Henry W McD Borland https://www.snwm.org/roll-search/?id=2328509&searchid=2619f6121ba82e63776476097a53f279&page=1

First name Henry on Dependant’s Pension Register. (5/- a week from 15.10.”18)

Hope this helps

IMG_0185.jpeg

IMG_0186.jpeg

Edited by Jrmh

MIC Courtesy of The National Archives:

IMG_0189.jpeg

• Michelle Young changed the title to Medal needing returning.

Perhaps:

https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Marriage   BORLAND
JOSEPH
CALDWELL
ELIZABETH
644 / 12 / 10
GORBALS

Birth   BORLAND
HENRY W MCDONAL
CALDWELL
M
644 / 11 / 2441
HUTCHESONTOWN

Findagrave   https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/56073545/henry-welsh_mcdonald-borland

Edited by Jrmh

Thanks you for taking the time to get the details , The Gorbals has been completely redeveloped , it used to be  a very tight area everyone knowing everyone else , , from around 1960 onwards the area has become trendy , so know one really knows anyone from the past , but there is one exception , I used to be a black cab driver , and used to drop the old people at St Francis chapel bingo in the Gorbals , and was told many a time “this is the last of the Old Gorbals people “ , I’m going brave it and be there next time it’s on , Will have info on phone and make absolutely certain , it’s the right people , keep an eye on post , hopefully the Medal gets back the Borlands 

Good luck - hope you are successful.