The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Information on war medals

Danny18

Hello, I recently received an inheritance from my grand mother which included several war medals.

They seem to belong to a A. SJT. A. C. ASHDOWN (unknown to me)

I am looking for some information in regards to this solider and his war medals. They seem to date between the first and second war.

Any information or direction is greatly appreciated.

I will continue my uploads in the forum. 

Scan.jpeg

Scan 2.jpeg

Scan 3.jpeg

IMG_4503.jpeg

IMG_4502.jpeg

IMG_4504.jpeg

IMG_4505.jpeg

IMG_4508.jpeg

IMG_4510.jpeg

IMG_4511.jpeg

IMG_4506.jpeg

Edited by Danny18
submitting photos

1 hour ago, Danny18 said:

A. SJT. A. C. ASHDOWN

Welcome to GWF

To start, here is his full name:

Acting Sergeant Amos Charles ASHDOWN, 8230, Royal West Kent Regiment

Unfortunately he did not survive the war being Killed in Action, 6.5.15

He left a widow: Rose ASHDOWN b. 30.11.88, 13 Rampart Rd, Hythe, Kent [there did not seem to be any children according to her initial widow's pension claim] - She later remarried to John MACALISTER, 75007, 1st Canadian Reserve Battalion and received a one-off Remarriage Gratuity instead of an on-going pension

His body was not knowingly recovered so he is commemorated on the Ypres (Menin Gate) Memorial https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/925712/amos-charles-ashdown - This CWGC record tells us he was in the 1st Bn RWK, a Regular Bn

M

Edit: Macallister

Edited by Matlock1418
edit

Scan.jpeg

These are ArmyTemperance Association medals - very typical of a pre-war Regular soldier. 

Typically awarded for abstainence from alcohol for various numbers of years - thus an association very much supported by the Army.

When worn, worn on the right breast [c/w the left breast for gallantry and war medals]

M

Edited by Matlock1418
typo

42 minutes ago, Danny18 said:

IMG_4503.jpeg

IMG_4502.jpeg

Sterling silver British War Medal - his details should be impressed in the rim

Picture order shown as the reverse [rear] and then the obverse [front]

M

Edited by Matlock1418

40 minutes ago, Danny18 said:

IMG_4508.jpeg

IMG_4510.jpeg

Gilt Victory Medalhis details should be impressed in the rim

Picture order shown as the reverse [rear] and then the obverse [front]

M

14 minutes ago, Matlock1418 said:

Welcome to GWF

To start, here is his full name:

Unfortunately he did not survive the war being Killed in Action, 6.5.15

He left a widow: Rose ASHDOWN b. 30.11.88, 13 Rampart Rd, Hythe, Kent [there did not seem to be any children according to her initial widow's pension claim] - She later remarried to John McALISTER, 75007, 1st Canadian Reserve Battalion and received a one-off Remarriage Gratuity instead of an on-going pension

His body was not knowingly recovered so he is commemorated on the Ypres (Menin Gate) Memorial https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/925712/amos-charles-ashdown - This CWGC record tells us he was in the 1st Bn RWK, a Regular Bn

This makes sense as the documentation I have is written to a R. McAlister in Vancouver, so at some point Rose moved to Vancouver, British Columbia.

image.jpeg.69f9dcf2213833adf4c4770e6870c560.jpeg

IMG_4508.jpeg

IMG_4510.jpeg

IMG_4511.jpeg

IMG_4503.jpeg

IMG_4502.jpeg

Note: Being KIA in 1915 means he must be also entitled to a Star

He was also entitled to the bronze 1914 Star - his details should be impressed in the rear

All three medals are shown on his Medal Index Card - also shows he first landed in a a Theatre of War [France & Flanders] on 15-8-14 as a Lance-Sergeant and this rank should be impressed on the Star

M

IMG_4506.jpeg

This is as indicated a Wound Stipe - worn on lower left sleeve.

But whose? 

I believe not ASHDOWN's since he died before they were issued [after July 1916]

We need to look out for a published formal Casualty List entry - Commonly in The Times.  Possibly MACALISTER's ??

M

Edited by Matlock1418
Edit: Macalister

2 minutes ago, Matlock1418 said:

This is as indicated a Wound Stipe - worn on lower left sleeve.

But whose? 

I believe not ASHDOWN's since he died before they were issued [after July 1916]

We need to look out for a published formal Casualty List entry - Commonly in The Times.  Possibly McALISTER's ??

M

I also believe we are now looking at two different persons as the Canadian 29th Battalion plates or Canadian legion pin would not  belong to Ashdown 

IMG_4511.jpeg

18 minutes ago, Danny18 said:

I also believe we are now looking at two different persons as the Canadian 29th Battalion plates or Canadian legion pin would not  belong to Ashdown 

John MACALISTER, 75007 was 29th Bn, CEF - His service records at Libraries and Archives https://central.bac-lac.gc.ca/.item/?op=pdf&app=CEF&id=B6566-S019

He had been wounded 1.2.16, Shell Wounds & consequential deafness and subsequently treated at Hythe and later served nearby - So that would seem likely where he met the recently-widowed Rose and was Granted permisison to marry 8.9.17 ... Much more in that record

M

Edited by Matlock1418
service detail etc

Scan 2.jpeg

Masonic - not Military = Off topic

M

49 minutes ago, Danny18 said:

image.jpeg.69f9dcf2213833adf4c4770e6870c560.jpeg

Watch and be Sober ... Wording suggests a temperance badge/brooch

This may be of interest ‘Watch and Be Sober’: The story of Army temperance at NAM https://www.nam.ac.uk/explore/temperance-medals

M

Edited by Matlock1418
typo

Having exhausted myself ... 

I would just add advice to take care over the ribbons attached to the various medals since they may not actually be associated with them - it is not uncommon for ribbons to get switched ... concentrate on the medals and then check the ribbons!

M

8 minutes ago, Matlock1418 said:

I would just add advice to take care over the ribbons attached to the various medals since they may not actually be associated with them - it is not uncommon for ribbons to get switched ... concentrate on the medals and then check the ribbons!M

Spot on.

When I scrolled down to Image #7 and saw the white-blue-white rbbon, I thought it was going to be a Military Cross.

14 minutes ago, Matlock1418 said:

Having exhausted myself ... 

I would just add advice to take care over the ribbons attached to the various medals since they may not actually be associated with them - it is not uncommon for ribbons to get switched ... concentrate on the medals and then check the ribbons!

M

Thank you so much for your efforts. I am very appreciative 

Thank you everyone for your information and for helping me with my requested. It is very much appreciated. 

The 3rd photograph above ---  The CEF badges are Canadian 1WW units from our Province of BC (British Columbia), city of Vancouver - 2nd Batt'n & 29th Batt'n.

So there is likely a Canadian connection here somewhere.

13 hours ago, Matlock1418 said:

He enlisted into the militia on the 27th October 1905, service number 5939. His attestation shows that he was 17 years and 11 months of age; 5 feet 4 1/4 inches tall, weighing 112 lbs. He had blue eyes, brown hair and a fresh complexion. His religion was Church of England. His next of kin is recorded as his father, David, residing at 28 Stanton Square, Lower Sydenham, Kent.

His record shows that on the 8th January 1906 he attested into the Royal West Kent Regiment.

The Soldiers Died in the Great War database shows that he attested into the RWKR at New Cross, Kent and that he was in the 1st Battalion/

(image courtesy of Find My Past)

Ashdown_AC_attestation militia.jpg

David and Alice Ashdown (the parents of Amos) along with their children Frances; Arthur; Albert and Alfred sailed for Canada from Liverpool aboard the SS Lake Manitoba on the 6th July 1907. The family disembarked at Montreal with the arrivals passenger list recording that their final destination was to be Toronto.

Looking at the other brothers named in the newspaper article Steven Daniel Ashdown died in Toronto, Canada on 29 April 1911 of pulmonary tuberculosis at the age of 25, leaving a wife, Jane. It looks like he may also have had pre-war service with the British Army as there is a Chelsea Pensioners service record for an 18-year old Steven Daniel Ashdown from Beckenham, Kent, England who served with the Royal Field Artillery, which would suggest an enlistment date around 1903.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:JD2K-VB6

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:V5CF-YVT

Service records for all of the other brothers can also be found online in the Canadian Archives:

1 minute ago, Tawhiri said:

Looking at the other brothers named in the newspaper article Steven Daniel Ashdown died in Toronto, Canada on 29 April 1911 of pulmonary tuberculosis at the age of 25, leaving a wife, Jane. It looks like he may also have had pre-war service with the British Army as there is a Chelsea Pensioners service record for an 18-year old Steven Daniel Ashdown from Beckenham, Kent, England who served with the Royal Field Artillery, which would suggest an enlistment date around 1903.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:JD2K-VB6

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:V5CF-YVT

Service records for all of the other brothers can also be found online in the Canadian Archives:

Thanks for sharing. I was able to find some information on a living Ashdown relative. I’ve contacted her in hopes of reuniting these medals to the family.