The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Captain John Robertson, 4 (Queen's Edinburgh Rifles) Royal Scots. Territorial Force Efficiency Medal?

rolt968

Captain John Robertson, was killed in action at Gallipoli on 28 June 1915. He was a long serving volunteer then territorial. I believe he joined 5 Volunteer Battalion Black Watchin in January 1893. The date comes from de Ruvigny, but I think the entry is confused as it gives that as the date when he joined the Queen's Edinburgh Rifles, but he did not move to Edinburgh until 1898. He was commissoned in November 1909.

I think that he should have been awarded a Territorial Force Efficiency Medal. Am I right?

RM

1 hour ago, rolt968 said:

Captain John Robertson, was killed in action at Gallipoli on 28 June 1915. He was a long serving volunteer then territorial. I believe he joined 5 Volunteer Battalion Black Watchin in January 1893. The date comes from de Ruvigny, but I think the entry is confused as it gives that as the date when he joined the Queen's Edinburgh Rifles, but he did not move to Edinburgh until 1898. He was commissoned in November 1909.

I think that he should have been awarded a Territorial Force Efficiency Medal. Am I right?

RM

As an officer he would have been awarded the Territorial Decoration.       Pete.

10 hours ago, CorporalPunishment said:

As an officer he would have been awarded the Territorial Decoration.       Pete.

Didn't he qualify for the TFEM before he was commissioned? Also didn't the qualifucation period start again when he was commissioned?

RM

10 hours ago, rolt968 said:

Didn't he qualify for the TFEM before he was commissioned? Also didn't the qualifucation period start again when he was commissioned?

RM

I see what you mean, yes, he would have qualified for the TFEM as soon as it was introduced in 1908. I thought that with the TD service in the ranks counted towards it but maybe not. I think I may need to go on a refresher course.     Pete.