The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

'War Medals and other discovered Memorabilia

Pincerna

I have been helping clear out my neighbours garage after her husband died,  in a box I found the 3 usual WW1 medals and the item in the picture below I wonder if anyone can identify it for me. 

There was also some WW1 photos  

The first is of an unknown Sergeant with a TG flash on his shoulder

The other 5 photos are of a Rhomboidal Tank,  it has M10 painted on its side along with another number which is 9310, see the attached photo.

I would be very interested in any information 

uNKNOWN.jpg

tank.jpg

Hi,

the flap could be of the Grenadier-Regiment Nr. 2, based in Stettin. Here part of a field grey tunic.

• Admin

@Pincerna

Welcome to the GWF

Thread moved perhaps you could be more specific n'any information' and perhaps tell us who the medals were issued to.

16 minutes ago, kenf48 said:

@Pincerna

Welcome to the GWF

Thread moved perhaps you could be more specific n'any information' and perhaps tell us who the medals were issued to.

@Kenf48

I don't think the Medals belong to the Sergeant, I researched the medal and the 1914-1915 star was issued to a private in the Lincs Regiment who was killed in Belgium in 1915, he was only 21 years old. I think the tank pictures and the Sergeant probably go together  

Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, GreyC said:

Hi,

the flap could be of the Grenadier-Regiment Nr. 2, based in Stettin. Here part of a field grey tunic.

I think you're right, I did wonder if it was some sort of war memento as it was field grey and the flap looks to have been cut away from the Tunic 

Edited by Pincerna

• Admin
32 minutes ago, Pincerna said:

I think the tank pictures and the Sergeant probably go together  

Therefore you probably need someone like @delta to help

The tank is a Mk V of the 14th 8th Battalion, Tank Corps. Details below courtesy of the Landships website

04 May 18 - 8th Battalion, C Company, Broke down, engine trouble. Left at c17d W8a

10 May 18 - 8th Battalion, C Company, Arrived at Tankodrome W8a

04 Jul 18 - 8th Battalion, C Company, H51 Lt Jefferies RDG - 11Bde, 4 AIF Div. Attacked, entered SW corner of Hamel and patrolled S thereof, crushed one MG, fired on some enemy in a trench who surrendered, fired on retreating enemy. Rallied. W8bh

08 Aug 18 - 8th Battalion, C Company, Lt Jackson FH - Attacked from Green line. Reached Blue line. Rallied W25

09 Aug 18 - 8th Battalion, C Company, Lt Jackson - Formed part of composite coy. Direct hit and KO W8

14 Aug 18 - 8th Battalion, C Company, Handed to Salvage. W8

Edited by Allan1892
To correct battalion

@Allan1892

Thank you for the information 

The shoulder flash on the Sergeant is TC and although it is a black and white photo you may be able to guess which battalion he was in, when the picture was taken, simply by the different shades  

Shoulder.jpg

3 minutes ago, Allan1892 said:

@Pincerna -- I took the liberty to turn it around, I hope you don't mind.

M10.jpg

Not a problem

5 hours ago, Pincerna said:

@Allan1892

Thank you for the information 

The shoulder flash on the Sergeant is TC and although it is a black and white photo you may be able to guess which battalion he was in, when the picture was taken, simply by the different shades  

Shoulder.jpg

Not a problem

Hi 

That’s a very interesting collection you have unearthed. The Sergeant appears to be wearing the ribbons for the British War & Victory Medals. If you can post the whole photograph the uniform experts may be able to offer more information, likewise the details impressed on the Star Medal. The other medals should have details impressed around the rim, a magnifying glass is often helpful to read the numbers.  

8 hours ago, GWF1967 said:

Hi 

That’s a very interesting collection you have unearthed. The Sergeant appears to be wearing the ribbons for the British War & Victory Medals. If you can post the whole photograph the uniform experts may be able to offer more information, likewise the details impressed on the Star Medal. The other medals should have details impressed around the rim, a magnifying glass is often helpful to read the numbers.  

I researched the medals and the 1914-1915 star was issued to a private in the Lincs Regiment who was killed in Belgium in 1915, he was only 21 years old, Further research has, using the 1901 census, shown that he  was born in the same place my neighbour was so its quite likely she is somehow related to this Private, I am unable to ask her as she is in hospital, I don't want to share the medal details until I have talked to her.

The Tank Corps Sergeant is probably related to my neighbours husband, I now have a name for the Tank Corps Sergeant  I will ask my neighbour what she know about him. :)

I have been doing genealogy for 45 years so am an experienced researcher and always enjoy the military research unfortunately I am not an expert in all things military, I could not just throw the medals and pictures away with the rest of the garage contents .

Posted (edited)

Update

I resolved the medals and managed  to work out how the people named on the medals are related to my neighbour, I wrote everything up for her and she was very happy, we decided what we will do with the Items 

The Tank Corps Pictures and Medals belonged to her father in law, she doesn't remember ever seeing them, I think her husband kept them locked away in the garage, her husband never spoke to me about his father its a shame really, as a Veteran myself, I would have been interested.

The 1914-1915 Star belonged to a Herbert Peach of the Lincolnshire Regiment, this came into the possession of  my neighbours husband via his mother, Herbert Peach was his mother's brother. We agreed I would try to find someone from the Peach line and pass the medal onto them, I already have them in the 1911 census and Herbert had other brothers.

The Epaulet from soldier from Grenadier-Regiment Nr. 2, based in Stettin, my neighbour does not want to keep this item as she fears it my have been taken from a dead soldiers uniform, you can see it was carefully cut away from the tunic. I have offered the Epaulet to someone on this forum, if he doesn't want it I have asked for his assistance in placing it with someone who would value and take care of it.

The offer of the Epaulet has been accepted :D

As much a like the military items I like the personal story behind them better, a medal is a piece of metal but the story behind it makes it so much more interesting and personal.  I am currently looking at a relative of mine, my marriage, who was a Lieutenant Colonel in the Cape Mounted Rifles, Robert Francis Cantwell, he appears to have had a very interesting career   

Edited by Pincerna

Very conscientious disposal of some interesting and important items. Well done.

Dave

4 hours ago, Pincerna said:

I already have them in the 1911 census and Herbert had other brothers.

Transcript of the 1921 Census if you need it -- address on Census matches the address on dependants (father James) pension card

(image courtesy of Find My Past)

Peach_1921 Census.jpg

45 minutes ago, Allan1892 said:

Transcript of the 1921 Census if you need it -- address on Census matches the address on dependants (father James) pension card

(image courtesy of Find My Past)

Peach_1921 Census.jpg

Thank you for this but I used the census to establish I had the right person and have already sent some message out looking for the descendants of John and George Peach, fingers crossed.

Although Tank Mark V 9310 did serve with 8th Battalion, Tank Corps up to August 1918 when it was sent to salvage, the tank was subsequently repaired and reissued to 13th Battalion.  This is what the M in M10 means - M is the 13th letter of the alphabet.  I have it serving with 13th Battalion at Kalterherberg on 5 July 1919.  Although built as a Female,by the time these photographs were taken it had been converted to a Composite or Hermaphrodite, with a Male sponson on the port side. 

Great photos by the way. Thanks for posting. 

Gwyn

Edited by Sidearm
Courtesy

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, Sidearm said:

Although Tank Mark V 9310 did serve with 8th Battalion, Tank Corps up to August 1918 when it was sent to salvage, the tank was subsequently repaired and reissued to 13th Battalion.  This is what the M in M10 means - M is the 13th letter of the alphabet.  I have it serving with 13th Battalion at Kalterherberg on 5 July 1919.  Although built as a Female,by the time these photographs were taken it had been converted to a Composite or Hermaphrodite, with a Male sponson on the port side. 

Great photos by the way. Thanks for posting. 

Gwyn

Gwyn

So the pictures show the tank after it had been repaired and converted, I did wonder if the tank would be repaired so late in the War, I suppose the repair was dependant on how badly damaged it was in August 1918.

They are great Photos and so clear. 

Thank you for the information. 

Edited by Pincerna

The Mark V was the best British tank to enter service during the war, but there were relatively few of them.  Only 400 were built before production switched to the underpowered Tank Mark V*.  Belated attempts to restart production were complicated by demands for small improvements that mounted up so much that the new tank design was redesignated the Mark X.  None were built, so it was important to repair tanks where possible.  Aside from simply ensuring there was an adequate number of tanks for the Army, they were needed for the occupation forces post-war.   

Gwyn

9 hours ago, Sidearm said:

The Mark V was the best British tank to enter service during the war, but there were relatively few of them.  Only 400 were built before production switched to the underpowered Tank Mark V*.  Belated attempts to restart production were complicated by demands for small improvements that mounted up so much that the new tank design was redesignated the Mark X.  None were built, so it was important to repair tanks where possible.  Aside from simply ensuring there was an adequate number of tanks for the Army, they were needed for the occupation forces post-war.   

Gwyn

Gwyn

Even as the war came to an end the repair\salvage infrastructure was still in place and like most military processes once the process is established it takes time to wind it down, I hadn't considered the occupation forces post-war.