The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Patients on HMHS ESSEQUIBO

My Grandfather  9989 Pte Joseph Conlon, 5th Connaught Rangers, attached to the MGC contracts Malaria at Salonika and is on HMHS Essequibo shown below. Would I be right in thinking that he would have been taken to Malta? Unfortunately I have not found any record of him disembarking anywhere but appears to have returned to Saloniks. I have not found him in MH106/1313 other than the below.

Record Details for J Conlon (Machine Gun Corps)

First Name: Joseph

Surname: Conlon

Index Number of Admission: Tr 7460

Service Number: 9989

Years Service: 6 years

Months With Field Force: 1 year

Ailment: Malaria

Date Transferred to Other Hospitals: 26/07/1916

Date of Transfer From Other Hospitals: 18/07/1916

Number/Designation of Ward: S/B1

Notes written in the Observations Column:

Hospital Ship Essequibo.

Religion: Roman Catholic

Regiment: Machine Gun Corps

Other unit info: Attached 29th Company

Archive Reference: MH106/1313 MH106/1313 can be found at The National Archives in Kew and contains First World War Representative Medical Records of No. 28 General Hospital: British Other Ranks SALONIKA.

Edited by jack

Yes I have, thank you David. I'm not sure about the dates shown, though. Do you think he just had a few days on board and returned to his Battalion, or went to Malta? I see that the Essequibo left for Malta shortly after one of the dates mentioned.

Jack

• Admin

Jack

Looking at his service record he is recorded as being overseas from 21-9-1915 to 19-4-1917 - not returning "home" in that period. That would suggest to me that he did not return to a UK hospital in 1916.

Image courtesy FMP

image.png

Posted (edited)

Right. But the question is that I am trying to find out if he actually stayed on board for a few days and got off again or went to Malta? He obviously recovered and returned to his Battalion but there is no mention of it. Do you know if all Malaria patients went to Malta or did some stay in Salonika until recovered? Also, the dates are confusing me. I think the Essequibo sailed for Malta about the 27th but he is said to have transferred to other hospital on the 26th. Looks like he just spent a few day aboard. Unless, of course he transferred to hospital in Malta on the 26th.

Edited by jack