The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Hospital stay for neurasthenia - decoding records

I've just received my great-grandfather's service records from the MoD and discovered that he was in hospital from 29 August 1917, being treated for neurasthenia. He was in "K" Special Company, Royal Engineers, a gas unit. There are a lot of abbreviations and numbers which I don't understand.
I would be so grateful if any member(s) could enlighten me on what they mean, and give suggestions for further sources of information concerning his medical treatment. 
The first column is headed 'From whom received' and the note in it says "A.Gs No' then on the line below 'E3/2311'.
The second column is headed 'Record of promotions, reductions, transfers, casualties, etc., during active service, as reported on Army Form B.213, Army Form A.36, or in other official documents. The authority to be quoted in each case.' The note in this column says 'Classified Neurasthenia' and on the line below, 'Authy:-0.6 No.4 Sty Hospl' and on the line below that, 'o/[?] 29.8.17'. 
The third column, headed 'Place', has a ditto mark - the note at the top of the column shows that this means 'on service'.
The final column, 'Remarks taken from Army Form B.213, Army Form A.36 or other official documents', contains a note which says 01810  No. 31 ['a.'? or 'd./'?] 3.11.17' and the initials of the person who wrote this note. 
My great-grandfather seems to have rejoined his unit on 24 October 1917. A note in the Remarks column next to this date says 'B.213 01810 No. 34 a/24.11.17.'

Hi,

Could you possibly post a copy of the queried image(s) please?

It’s always preferable for members to have sight of the original document(s) before passing an opinion.

Steve

Elima,

Thanks for the image. Can you also give us your great-grandfather's name and number, as there may be other records which may help us..

Regards,

Alf McM

His name was John William Josiah Snell. He was in the 1st Battalion of the Grenadier Guards at the beginning of the war, number 14319, but was transferred to the Royal Engineers on 18 July 1915 when experienced soldiers were needed to form the Special gas companies (he was in "K" Special Company). In the Royal Engineers his number was 143028.
His records also show an 'army number', 1842205.

21 hours ago, Elima said:

I've just received my great-grandfather's service records from the MoD and discovered that he was in hospital from 29 August 1917, being treated for neurasthenia. He was in "K" Special Company, Royal Engineers, a gas unit. There are a lot of abbreviations and numbers which I don't understand.
I would be so grateful if any member(s) could enlighten me on what they mean, and give suggestions for further sources of information concerning his medical treatment. 
The first column is headed 'From whom received' and the note in it says "A.Gs No' then on the line below 'E3/2311'.
The second column is headed 'Record of promotions, reductions, transfers, casualties, etc., during active service, as reported on Army Form B.213, Army Form A.36, or in other official documents. The authority to be quoted in each case.' The note in this column says 'Classified Neurasthenia' and on the line below, 'Authy:-0.6 No.4 Sty Hospl' and on the line below that, 'o/[?] 29.8.17'. 
The third column, headed 'Place', has a ditto mark - the note at the top of the column shows that this means 'on service'.
The final column, 'Remarks taken from Army Form B.213, Army Form A.36 or other official documents', contains a note which says 01810  No. 31 ['a.'? or 'd./'?] 3.11.17' and the initials of the person who wrote this note. 
My great-grandfather seems to have rejoined his unit on 24 October 1917. A note in the Remarks column next to this date says 'B.213 01810 No. 34 a/24.11.17.'

Hi,

You may find examples of the queried Army forms in the below topic. 

A man’s military movements were supported by an order authorising that movement but those orders will not have survived the past 100 odd years. Various forms were used to communicate those movements between the various branches of the army - there were no computers then and an “army” of clerks were maintaining various written records. Again those documents are for the most part no longer accessible.

Your “classified Neuresthenia” query should read  “Auth (Authority) OC (Officer Commanding) No 6 Stationary Hospital”.

Steve

Posted (edited)

Thank you very much, Steve. 
No. 4 Stationary Hospital appears to have been located in St Omer.

Edited by Elima

Elima,

Sometimes were written a few days after the events mentioned, so you need to read this record using the dates in the 5th column.

15.8.17 – Admitted to hospital.

29.8.17 – Classified neurasthenia, by authority of office commanding No. 4 Stationary Hospital.

4.10.17 – Discharged ex {from} 7 Convalescent Depot.

7.10.17 – Joined Royal Engineers Base Depot Boulogne.

21.10.17 – Joined  Special Brigade Depot from R.E. Base Depot..

24.10.17 – Rejoined unit {‘K’ Special Company} from Depot.

It would seem that he recovered from the neurasthenia.

Also on his record;-

8.10.18 - Wounded {remained at duty}.

9.10.16 – Admitted to 110 Field Ambulance {High explosive wound to finger}.

9.10.19 – Back to duty.

Regards,

Alf McM

A.G. is most likely Adjutant General  each base had a Deputy AG who came under the AG. Each DAG had to be informed of all hospital admissions and discharges for admin purposes which would include updating the B103 form you have attached.

E3/2311 is likely to be the AG's internal reference.

A36. Is a admissions & discharges form usually used at this time for forward units EG. Field Ambulances, CCS. Each one is numbered IE. A36/43890 and then sent to the base DAG.

Odd here that the A36 is quoted under From whom Received whereas the Remarks column which suggests quoting the A36 states Army Form 01810 No. 47 as the source.

There is an A36 form in the topic linked by tullybone.

The 01810 is apparently the Part II Orders which I think is a battalion level admin form of movements of troops.

B213 is another battalion level admin form and I'm not 100% certain on how the info on a B213 differs from the Part II Orders.

The form you have was kept by The Grenadier's records office in London who received information on individuals from a variety of sources. Sometimes they may have had Tthe same info from several forms and had to pick one as the source.

TEW

Edited by TEW
Typo

Thank you, TEW, and all who have replied to my request. You are very generous to share your expertise and knowledge via this forum.