The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Rossignol (near Ypres) Trenches J2 J3 J10 J11 S4A

DanMorris1989

Hi All,

Just a small snippet of info required could anybody tell me where the trenches J2 J3 J10 J11 S4A were located in the Rossignol area.

Particularly looking at the 3rd Bn. Middlesex Regt's location on 25th February 1915.

TIA

Dan

Dan

The War Diary of 85 Infantry Brigade has this map later in 1915. I have cropped it to show Rosignol in N 22 (East of Kemmel and the Chateau). The trenches marked J are further to the east. There are lots of reports in the February WD of 85 IB worth reading. Try also the 28 Div HQ papers and 28 Div RE. There may be more sketches. I will look later today.

Brian

TNA/Ancestry WO 95/2278.

85 IB 2278.jpg

If you right click in TrenchMapper and choose Map ID Jump using ma_006610 as the ID, you can see them nicely georeferenced. Use the opacity slider top right to see the modern aerial imagery.

ID= p_005319 gives an aerial photo. You can also use Streetview to look at the current landscape.

Howard

Name: Wytschaete, St. Eloi, L'Enfer
Sheet: 28 [parts of]
Scale: 1:5,000
On linen. Annotated
Id: ma_006610

tm1.jpg

• 2 months later...

Rosignol means nightingale in French, a sweet-singing bird whose fluid piping sounds continue throughout the night during spring and early summer. A lovely name for a terrible part of the trenches. I wonder who decided on the nomenclature.

there is a cemetery Rossignol Wood near Hebuterne, just saying!!  68 casualties, so small by some standards.