The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Leo Berkeley Paget in Cameroon

Simon Cains

Good evening, I am trying to write a brief history of Leo Berkeley Paget who served with the Rifle brigade in Cameroon from 20th Sept 1914.   Is it possible to find out when he ( and his unit) left the Cameroon campaign ?   Can anyone decipher the word after  Theatre of  war  Cameroon (something) force ?   Thanks very much.   

This pension card is available on Ancestry, and to members of the Western Front association. 

leo berkeley paget medals correspondance.jpg

Edited by Simon Cains

• Admin

Cameroon Company Force

So no info re a further unit

3 hours ago, Simon Cains said:

I am trying to write a brief history of Leo Berkeley Paget who served with the Rifle brigade in Cameroon from 20th Sept 1914.   Is it possible to find out when he ( and his unit) left the Cameroon campaign ? 

Paget served with the 1st Bn Nigerian Regiment (his parent unit, bring The Rifle Brigade) from 20/9/14 till 13/4/1916

when he was restored to his British Unit

(See Medal Roll)

4 minutes ago, RaySearching said:

Paget served with the 1st Bn Nigerian Regiment (his parent unit, bring The Rifle Brigade) from 20/9/14 till 13/4/1916

when he was restored to his British Unit

(See Medal Roll)

Hi, thanks very much, is that this medal roll  (  downloaded from the national archives at Kew).    Or did you manage to find something more useful ?WO-372-24-47880 l b paget medals hard to read.pdfWO-372-24-47880 l b paget medals hard to read.pdfWO-372-24-47880 l b paget medals hard to read.pdf

The 1920 Offrs War Service book states

Paget, LB (Capt Rifle Brig)

1914-9. On Staff. France & Belgium 12 May 16 to 26 Jan 18.

Kamerun and Nigeria Sept 14 to 1 Aug 15. Despatches, Lond Gaz, 11 Dec 17. MC.

Peter

6 minutes ago, Simon Cains said:

Hi, thanks very much, is that this medal roll  (  downloaded from the national archives at Kew).    Or did you manage to find something more useful

what you have downloaded is his Medal Index Card  which is a index card to the medal roll

The medal roll can be found on Ancestry

paget.JPG.3afc774eaaeeaccd0a0ed10f0491429d.JPG

Image source Ancestry

Ray

9 hours ago, ForeignGong said:

The 1920 Offrs War Service book states

Paget, LB (Capt Rifle Brig)

1914-9. On Staff. France & Belgium 12 May 16 to 26 Jan 18.

Kamerun and Nigeria Sept 14 to 1 Aug 15. Despatches, Lond Gaz, 11 Dec 17. MC.

Peter

Thanks, that sounds like a useful book, is the information online anywhere ?

9 hours ago, RaySearching said:

what you have downloaded is his Medal Index Card  which is a index card to the medal roll

The medal roll can be found on Ancestry

paget.JPG.3afc774eaaeeaccd0a0ed10f0491429d.JPG

Image source Ancestry

Ray

Thank you, sorry I missed that while searching Ancestry, although I wouldn't have known what the red writing meant.    (  I am also from Stockton, my Dad is still there).

Thanks for everyone's help on this question.  Is there any way to tell which battalion he served with, when he was back with the Rifle Brigade ?  I was hoping to find him in the war diaries but of course there were 20-odd battalions in the Rifle brigade.

( sorry this is off the sub-saharan forum  topic, but you have all seen all this information here, so rather than put all the information on a new question in a different forum...).

Thanks.

Good morning, I am trying to find which battalion of the Rifle Brigade  Captain Leo Berkeley Paget served in from 1916-18, then I can follow his movements in the right battalion war diary.  He stayed in the army after the war, as a Major with the 4th armoured car company in India, so I think this means his records are more restricted.  He won the military cross in June 1918.  I am not quite sure what the line marked (B) means in the medal card, looks like  2 HQ demob area ?    Captain T/Major.  Is there any other source of information for officers who stayed on ?

I am trying to write an account of his sons who both died in WW2.  Thanks very much.

The pension card and medals rolls are available at Ancestry.  The newspaper is from British Newspaper Archives.  The photo is my own work.

Thanks very much.

leo berkeley paget medals correspondance.jpg

1927 major paget armoured car unit india.jpg

IMG_20240409_104342938.jpg

leo medal roll.jpg

There is already a thread on this man that started a few days ago :(

and another one by the same OP

Edited by corisande

• Admin

Duplicate threads merged

The answer to your question is in the Army List, and isthat he hardly spent any time with Rifle Brigade

paget.jpg.b5ce73df7613d1cd2f3d22f482f4b9b4.jpg

Edited by corisande

1 hour ago, corisande said:

There is already a thread on this man that started a few days ago :(

and another one by the same OP

Thanks, I wasn't sure if I would be breaking the rules by asking about Western Front service in the Sub-saharan Africa forum, so thought I had to ask that as a new question in the correct forum.  

42 minutes ago, corisande said:

The answer to your question is in the Army List, and isthat he hardly spent any time with Rifle Brigade

paget.jpg.b5ce73df7613d1cd2f3d22f482f4b9b4.jpg

Thank you, so it looks like he was in the 7th or 8th service battalions which were both in the 41st brigade , according to the Long Long Trail.    I wonder what he was doing between Nov 15 and Oct 16 ?

• Admin
20 minutes ago, Simon Cains said:

Thanks, I wasn't sure if I would be breaking the rules by asking about Western Front service in the Sub-saharan Africa forum, so thought I had to ask that as a new question in the correct forum.  

A grey area, but creating duplicate posts about the same person just causes confusion and repetition of answers. 

7 hours ago, Simon Cains said:

He won the military cross in June 1918. 

The MC was awarded in the King's birthday honours, Gazetted 3rd June 18  and so the MC may not have been awarded for a specific act, but for general good service. (Hence no citation)