The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Any useful information here?

Bogolino

Hello everyone

I'm trying to decipher the Statement of Service section on this Short Service form (image from Fold3)

I can work out the beginning and end, but this centre section looks to be a series of numbers and abbreviations. I was just wondering if there is anything useful amongst these details that I am failing to see? The last two lines in particular are confusing.

The soldier transferred from the RFA to the AOC and was discharged on July 20th 1917.

Many thanks for any insights.

service statement.png

• Admin

Army Ordnance Corps Transferred Private 9.9.916

Possibly ‘York’

Authority WO (War Office) letter 124/8455 Adjutant General 2 (dated) 8.8.1916

The Adjutant General was responsible for personnel matters in the Army and his office gave authority for the transfer. As for the text of the letter that might be difficult to extract. Often there is the text of an Army Order alongside the WO letter.

On 20 July 1917 he was transferred to the Army Class P Reserve see

https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/soldiers/a-soldiers-life-1914-1918/enlisting-into-the-army/british-army-reserves-and-reservists/classes-p-and-t-of-the-army-reserve/

Similarly the authority for this transfer is then noted ‘Headquarters S.C..?’The alphabet soup is a bit beyond me too other than the transfer authority was dated 29.6.1917.

In the link above is an example of the relevant form with a similar string of numbers showing the authority for transfer.

Context might help interpretation.

Thank you so much for interpreting that for me. That's great.

I didn't realise he had transferred to the Army Reserve - so there was something useful in there after all.

Many thanks for the link too. Really interesting!