The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Medal Index card - SPR John Pickering

GHop

I was hoping if someone could help me work out the details of the medal index card and the information it provides, other than name, rank and regimental numbers. Can you determine the unit he was assigned within the Royal Engineers? Can't find anything more on him online other than this card.  Any additional information would be of help.

His additional details include:

Full Name: John Pickering, DOB: 22 May 1895, POB: Brightside, Sheffield.

WO-372-15-235574.pdf

Hi

Can you tell us his number to let us know what card out of the six we are looking at ?

Cheers 

Gary

• Admin

Unfortunately, the MIC just shows his medal entitlement, in this case the War and Victory Medals, and that he entered at theatre of war after 31/12/1915. Image ©️ Ancestry.

IMG_1145.jpeg

• Admin
5 hours ago, GHop said:

Can you determine the unit he was assigned within the Royal Engineers?

Welcome to the GWF

It usually helps, in the absence of a service record if you tell us some details and background information of the man you are researching. His age, was he married where was he from etc.

The number 778 has the prefix 'T' indicating he was enlisted as a Territorial Force Royal Engineer.

Along with the rest of the TF he was renumbered in March 1917 and 476057 was in the block allocated to the 1st West Riding Field Company.  

See https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/soldiers/a-soldiers-life-1914-1918/renumbering-of-the-territorial-force-in-1917/renumbering-of-the-territorial-force-royal-engineers-in-1917/

It is not a given but it usually means if the original number is shown on the medal roll he entered a theatre of war before March 1917.

More information on Field Companies

https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/regiments-and-corps/the-corps-of-royal-engineers-in-the-first-world-war/field-companies-of-the-royal-engineers/

I have given two links to the Long Long Trail if new to researching soldiers of the Great War we recommend you have a good look around that site on how to research a soldier.

• Admin

There is a service record for 608/476034 Bailey (a wheelwright) which shows he re-enlisted on the 24th May 1914.  

You will see from the link in my previous post this TF unit was posted to the 29th Division and renamed 455th Field Company

https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/order-of-battle-of-divisions/29th-division/

Bailey's MIC shows he landed Egypt 30th March 1915 and was therefore also entitled to the 14-15 Star.

853/476076 Lichfield (turner) enlisted age 17 years on 10 March 1913 landed at Havre 21.6.1915

I suspect Spr. Pickering, if he was posted to 455th Field Company and without a service record we can't be certain, it was when the Division returned to the Western Front in March 1916 or shortly afterwards.

It's odd he did not have the 14-15 Star though he was entitled not to serve overseas as the TF was recruited for Home Service. The 1st West Riding RE was headquartered at Sheffield.  He does appear to have enlisted pre-war.  He may have been too young for active service overseas (19) and could legitimately join the pre-war TF at seventeen, or he may have ben older and married and simply chosen not to sign the Imperial Obligation.

Have to go out now but no doubt others will be along to help.